Boat Mods

The Iceman

Seen this boat for sale at a good price but am unsure about the modifications The extended spraychine is what concerns me digging in when turning Any opinions Huey Pelican?

post-62-1220683601_thumb.jpg

strange! what purpose does it serve.

it wouldnt worry me though. i have a step on one side that digs in, if you try to do doughnuts

the simple solution is dont drive like an idiot and it wont happen :tease:

Edited by CaineS

I would think it would be to deflect spray

I wouldnt be driving like an idiot I have around thirty years of experience driving boats which is why I am asking the question as a gut feeling is telling me it just isnt right but theres no reason why I couldnt cut it back

Pity the boat isnt in Sydney otherwise I would be taking it for a spin

Stessl did that sort of mod on there Bass Boss range. Called a Trak Rail or similar. The idea was to give the hull more bite in the turn and I believe worked quite well.

That said I don't recall them being that big even on the 6m Hull. they look more like wings! :biggrin2:

Cheers

Chris

i think the stessel (edge trackers )your thinking of were sort of straight down more like the sponsons of a cat were that is or looks more like a spray defecter,take it for a run if your happy hand over the hard earned,although i would think that these mods would affect the resale value or be harder to sell with potencial buyers having the same thought s as yourself

on another note these modifications might be excellent (take it for a run)you might be pleasenly suiprised

cheers arman

possibly a bit large for a boat of that size. looks as though it may dig a bit but with all the weight at the rear could work????

i couldn't imagine anyone would go to such trouble for no reason though.

could be a good thing but wouldnt tow from brisvegas with little wheels like that

Edited by VA911

Hi Andrew If the price is right that boat looks the goods to me and the 30 hp suits and makes it cheaper to run and maintain.

The extension is for extra stability but the worry is was it factory designed or made as an add on which may have affected the boat's performance and turning under load etc. I wouldn't think so but as you say it's a long drive to Brisbane but there are some top buys up there that you don't need to miss out on when your style of boat comes up. Maybe quiz the owner again and ring the manufacturer and email a pic of the modification and see what they have to say.

Huey would be able to advise you as well.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Andrew I've bought all my boats from QLd and registered them up north on the way back as it's a pain when you get home, give me a call at home I'll pm the number.

Have sent a PM

I am always concerned by modifications and not quite sure why you would need so much extra buoyancy at the rear unless there is a very large live well in there and a big fuel load but it is only a light 30hp??. With a choppy bay up there it may well have solved the spray issue but I didn't think they were that bad to start with.

Need to know who did it and why and ensure they are a quality tradesman and used the right materials. It is a big $ reno on a small boat and a lot of effort. Might have started it'slife asa insurance write off?

Extensions should be good at rest and only a test run would tell the truth of how they handle at speed.

If you know someone up there n the Tournamnet circuit I'm sure they would have noticed this boat and seen how it went - those blokes notice everything. I checked the results and the bloke did fish some comps.

Someone here may know a local up there they could trust to go and have a look or a run and give an opinion.

Good luck

Pel

Edited by pelican

Hi Ice, as some of the guys have said, that would not be as standard from the factory. It would have been added by some alloy fabricator. It does not look like a too bad job and it would give more stern buoyancy and therefore lift as well as help with stability.

The boat looks quite old and also was once a S/S and I guess when they did the pod modifiactions they also modified to L/S to fit that late model 30HP Mariner.

I think the ride would be quite dry becasue it does have large spray deflectors on the chines and yes becasue it is in QLD, not that easy to water test before you buy and for that reason i would keep on looking, unless the price was so good it made it worthwhile to fly up and try. Waht do they want for it?

Cheers,

Huey.

Its a 1990 model hull Huey and they want $7500 for it fully set up for tournies with a casting platform 90lt livewell and motorguide electric The sort of boat Im interested in to use for summer series tournies as well as taking the kids fishing

If you have anything similar coming in shoot me a pm

Ideally I would still like the 429 nomad elite as my preference but its a bit out of range at the moment

Iceman, I reckon they've done this to add some element of extra lift to the boat. When I had a 4.2 tinnie with a 30 Jonno on the back , it would dig in for a while before getting on the plane. Think about it - 90 kg of bloke - with motor- with fuel - and possibly a battery all sitting back down the arse end of a small boat, you would struggle to get out of the hole. I think they've come up with a good ( but probably expensive ) mod for a boat this size. Be interesting to see how it performs.

Cheers,

Tuffy

Edited by Tuffy

Hi Mate, I will if something like a 429 Nomd Elite comes in. At present we have a 4.0M Bass Elite with an electric start 30HP Merc on it-nice boat and the ride of this hull shape is unbeatable for a 4.0M tinny. Send me a PM with email address and I can send you some photos. It is dearer than the $7500, but worth seeing what you think.

As for the Stessel, the outboard is worth about $2K-if electric start-so that makes the boat/trailer owing you $5,500 and the trailer in the picture looks older than the hull and not the best-small wheels etc and worth about $500. Then you have the question mark about how the hull would work. If all 4-4.2M tinnys needed a transom like this to perform they would be made from new like this. Trust me, a company like Telwater, who whether you like them or not, are the biggest thing in alloy boats here in Oz have played with all sorts of hull shapes thru out the years and would of tried something like this. I have seen some weird and wonderful things come out of the Telwater R & D department.

I would continue looking mate,

Cheers,

Huey.