Pongrass 4.8 Metre.

IWANNABROCK

There is a fibreglass pongrass near me forsale,on trailer, no motor,transom solid, floor fairly solid,seats are those back to back seats which are stuffed,needs a tidy up, about 4.8 metre long. no rego.would be a 70's model boat,it's pretty cheap,tossing up whether to now sell my tinnie which I only recently bought and buy this.

there is a sticker on the boat which say's it is a pongrass fleet 156. so confused now :1prop:

Any suggestions on how much this would be worth?

Edited by IWANNAJEWY

There is a fibreglass pongrass near me forsale,on trailer, no motor,transom solid, floor fairly solid,seats are those back to back seats which are stuffed,needs a tidy up, about 4.8 metre long. no rego.would be a 70's model boat,it's pretty cheap,tossing up whether to now sell my tinnie which I only recently bought and buy this.

there is a sticker on the boat which say's it is a pongrass fleet 156. so confused now :1prop:

Any suggestions on how much this would be worth?

Gooday mate,

Im the owner of a pongrass surfmaster. The boat is fibreglass and I have owned her for over 10 yrs.

I bought the boat for $2000 with a 40hp evenrude on it.

The boat had transom rot which is pretty bad and it cost me another $2000 to get the rot cut out and the back of the boat rebuilt.

The boat scrubbed up as good as new and then the engine began to give me trouble, I then purchased a brand new yamaha 50hp for $ 6,000.

The boat is my pride and joy and now serves me well for my fishing needs.

Pongrassas are heavy built and you will need to have a capable vehicle and trailer to tow the boat.

You mentioned that you purchased a tinnie.... if the boat is sea worthy I WOULD STICK WITH WHAT YOU HAVE .

Remember with older boats you are buying someone elses rubbish and in the long term for a few extra dollars you can get a newer model without the hassle.

With the money thay=t I have spent on my runabout it would be hard to recover all the costs.

Twin 1

Edited by twin1

My first boat was a pongrass surfmaster which had a 40 h.p johnson seahorse on it. was the best handling boat,unfortuanately money reason's had to sell it a few year's ago. I like my 12ft tinnie,but the :wife: wont get in it as she isnt keen on little boat's. also thinking maybe bigger boat will be good when I move up the coast so I can fish out of Crowdy head.

Hi Jewy, if the trailer is in good condition and ideally in rego I think that Pongrass fleetmaster would be worth $1000-$1,500-no more.

As claimed you have to be careful, you could be buying yourself a world of trouble and expense, but if solid you fit a good second hand 60-75HP on the back and for under about $6-7K you have youself a good old girl.

Cheers,

Huey.

The trailer is fair,no rego, but the owner will accept $300. for it.

At that price you can not really go wrong even if the trailer needs new running gear to get registered. If the transom is solid and the floor only a little spongy than for $300 it would make a cheap project boat.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thank's Huey,even on your birthday you are a wealth of knowledge :thumbup: if I set the trailer up with roller's instead of the skid's,would I be able to launch and retrieve this boat on my own?

Thanks mate for the kind words, yes another year older, but still feel and act young :biggrin2: . Yes if it has skids that is one way, but a cheaper option would be to make sure the keel rollers are new and roll nicely and then replace the ribbed rubber material and replace with teflon strips. For about $40 for two new strips that boat will be easy to launch and retrieve by yourself. The side skids really do not want to carry alot of weight and are only there to stop the boat from flopping from side to side.

Cheers,

Huey.