Will Blackfish Take Green Grubs

Caine1

Although blackies are occassionally picked up on lures it is not a common occurance, and i dont think that too many (if any) people specifically target them on lure. So there is alot of stuff to learn and you could put in the hard yards and perhaps develop a new style of fishing! However, i thinkyou will catch a lot more fish on weed, although Go Fish does have some weed flies for blackies that you could just fish the way you would normally fish a weed bait.

What I wonder is do blackies pick up scents from weed like other fish pick up scents from other forms of bait and if they do could they adopt it into soft plastics and design a few models specifically for weed eating fish or even make a blackie attractant to soak your weed in.

Food for thought I guess.

Edited by reLapse

Hi Catch 22

At any given time, blackies will eat worms, prawn, nippers, sps, hard bodies, blades & even bait, so if they thought a green sp grub looked like a meal, they could well take it, but I wouldn't rely on it for getting a meal! Weed & cabbage is much more reliable.

Blackies are used to pulling/ripping weed from the rocks, so I reckon the green weed fly could almost make them take it down further, as they can't 'nibble' the edges as such as the fibre is so tough! I should get my next flies from Peter in the next day or so, & look forward to giving them a go on the breakwall & in the yak & hopefully not get busted off this time, losing them!!!

There is a smell from the weed that pervades the blackie - it is a most unusual smell. I guess you could pulverise the weed & soak the fake weed in it to see if it adds 'attractant' to it! WOrth a try! :1prop:

Cheeiro

Roberta

Oooh! Must look thru my wool collection (not that I have much :wacko: , never having the patience to knit!) But I did buy some once, to use as stoppers on the line :1prop:

Will see if there is any lighter coloured green amongst it for possible use!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Catch 22

.......There is a smell from the weed that pervades the blackie - it is a most unusual smell. I guess you could pulverise the weed & soak the fake weed in it to see if it adds 'attractant' to it! WOrth a try! :1prop:

Cheeiro

Roberta

Well said Roberta!! and Peter Luderick59's marinated cotton wool special is unique, I like it. I reckon soaking artificial weed in the chlorophyl that comes out of old seaweed is more than worth a try :thumbup: When I saw Go fish Pete had artificial green weed flies, the first thing I thought of was dipping the flies in green glow bait which also contains a fish attractant. Perhaps they may eventually add an additive to artificial weed like they use for gulps but I reckon they'll be battling to beat marinating them overnight in old seaweed.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer