Knowledge Of Long Reef

short1

hi all iam planning a trip to long reef for snapper this weekend if the weather holds. can any one tell me in what depth off long reef i should fish. i have never fished there before. after the long cold winter cant wait to get the boat out and maybe catch a couple. i was going to drift bait in a berley trail while anchored would this be the best way or should i drift. thanks

hey short longreef is one off my stomping grounds there hasent been a lot off snapper at longy over the last month or so but i havent fished it for 3 weeks so the swell could have sturred them up

there are many good spots

there are 4 wreaks in about 45 to 50 meters to the north

closer in in say 11 25 meters is a good brift bait option

there is a spot called the wall BEWARE very dangerus in any swell and espesllly at a tide change

if you have a gps give me a pm and i''ll give you the main spots

cherrs and i may see you there gary

Gday Brickman,

I was wondering if it would be ok for you to pm me the co-ordinents of the wall as I too would like to visit long reef and as I havnt got a huge boat, I wouldnt want to endanger myself and my mates.

Is it very shallow or is it a good chance we will be hit with a rogue wave out of the blue?

Would be very helpfull

Thank you

Guest Big-Banana

hey short longreef is one off my stomping grounds there hasent been a lot off snapper at longy over the last month or so but i havent fished it for 3 weeks so the swell could have sturred them up

there are many good spots

there are 4 wreaks in about 45 to 50 meters to the north

closer in in say 11 25 meters is a good brift bait option

there is a spot called the wall BEWARE very dangerus in any swell and espesllly at a tide change

if you have a gps give me a pm and i''ll give you the main spots

cherrs and i may see you there gary

I don't know who you've been speaking to but there's been good snapper taken off Longy over the past 4-5 weeks. Other commitments have stopped me from going out there but the 13-20m drop off has definitely been producing. Not huge fish, mainly plateys but there has been some taken to 4-5kgs.

check your pm's

the wall is the edge off a platform about 600 yards north east off the point for all the ex surfers it is the suckup that works in a big southerly swell,i think they toe surf there now

why it's dangerest to fish there is at it's shallowest point it is only 2.5 to 3 meters deep depending on tide

and drops away to 16 meters quick and then slowly to 33 meters

to fish the spot you need to drop the pick on the platform and the let out rope till you get in the right spot

the prob. is the water rushes off the ledge swinging the boat the way you wont it but every now and then the swell swings you around putting your boat in 3 meters off water with waves pitching in front off you

scary shit i can tell you a good mate showed me the spot and how to fish it and when

i never go near the spot in anything over 1 meter swell and never in a swell from the north

gary

• 1 year later...