Georges And Botany Bay 11.09.08

Tiger Cam

G’day Raiders,

A mate came down from Federal (near Byron Bay) for his Aunt’s funeral last week. I figured the least I could do was offer a fishing session to cheer him up!

I’m traditionally a bottom basher with very limited experience on sp’s but on this outing I was determined to persist. After reading so many successful raider reports on sp’s I was excited at the prospect of breaking my duck. So last Thursday morning we set off from the boat ramp at Georges River National Park (now with a new pontoon) at 6:30am.

We motored along to Tom Ugly’s Bridge and anchored with high expectations. We both started with the 3” minnows in nuclear chicken with 1/24 ounce jig heads. We flicked away for 30 mins or so resulting in zip. We moved onto the CC bridge repeating the process this time with the 3” minnow in pumpkin seed but with the heavier 1/8 ounce jig head instead. Zip.

By this stage Nick had given up and decided to use squid strips – I remained focussed as we tried our luck at Moulinex Point. Unfortunately neither of us had any enquiries. Our next stop was off Dolls Point where I was using the Lime Tiger shrimp and ¼ ounce jigs in search of bream or flathead (or any fish by this stage) only to be disappointed again.

It was great to be on the water again after a 3 month break and although I’m slightly disillusioned, I’ll continue to persevere with any tips thrown my way welcome.

How long did it take before you broke your sp duck?

Cheers,

Cam

Hi Cam,

At the bridges ,use 3/8th oz jig heads to get to the bottom in the current and up your plastics to 100 ml ,flatties and jews love em.

When there is shallow water or little flow use a much lighter jig head like 1/24th or 1/20th and stick with the lime tigers as they do produce :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

Hang it there Cam ... it WILL happen. Keep thinking the way you are at the moment; if it's not working, try something else.

There are lots of variables when fishing soft plastics, such as:

The leader material and thickness

The color, profile, action, scent and size of the plastic

The retrieve method and tempo

Jig design and hook size

and then there are the things you can't control, such as:

Tide movement

Water temp and clarity

etc

As the weather improves and the water temp increases, you can reasonably expect your soft plastics sessions to become more successful. Stick with the pumkinseed and lime tiger colors mate. I hope to read of your success in the very near future. Good luck! :thumbup:

Hodgey