Braid V Fluoro V Mono

Bream Mad

Hi Raiders,

Thought I would share some recent expriences with different types of fishing line

I recently went back to using mono on my river bass rig and must say extremely happy with the results.

problem was with braid it was TOO sensitive and was pulling hooks. Did not want the drag backed off to allow the bronze battlers back into their den. Tried increasing leader length which helped but still had problems with knots though guides ect and inconsitent casting.

Don't beleive the hype about flourocarbon being less stretchy in all cases than mono, I actually found the opposite. Vanish had more stretch than Sunline mono?

So went to Machinegun cast all the way which gives just the perfect amount of shock absorbing to prevent pulled hooks plus casts more accuratly than braid and almost as far (most casts are less than 10m anyway)

what i am trying to say is don't just discount mono in favour of flouro or braid, look at each fishing situation and choose the best line for each.

the monos and fluro's from Japan are outstanding and over their and in the US are a lot more popular than braids for bass fishing

cheers'bm

A very interesting topic, Kael. :thumbup: Without mentioning specifics (your secret weapons :biggrin2: ):

Were you fishing top water or sub surface?

What breaking strain were you testing?

Were you using plastics/HBs/etc?

Hodgey

good question

mostly top water using HB's thus mono floats better than flouro (braid also floats)

6lb breaking strain

kael

Thanks mate. Just the info I was looking for. Hook-up rate (for bream especially) is often pretty hit and miss on surface lures, and it may be because of the lack of stretch as you have suggested. This is the reason I try to let them turn with the lure before I strike. I might fill one of my spare spools with some 6lb mono and see if there is a marked difference. One possible downside I can see is casting distance. The water down here is pretty clear, so loooong casts are required for the flighty fish. I will let you know how it goes!

Cheers

Hodgey

Thanks mate. Just the info I was looking for. Hook-up rate (for bream especially) is often pretty hit and miss on surface lures, and it may be because of the lack of stretch as you have suggested. This is the reason I try to let them turn with the lure before I strike. I might fill one of my spare spools with some 6lb mono and see if there is a marked difference. One possible downside I can see is casting distance. The water down here is pretty clear, so loooong casts are required for the flighty fish. I will let you know how it goes!

Cheers

Hodgey

Definitely with bream on surface lure i would use 4lb braid and a mono leader , this is a situation where long casts are important. Bass fishing on the other hand is a much tighter affair most cast a well less than 10m and Bass have soft mouths

as far as missing hookups on surface lures i think it is just par for the course :thumbdown:

kl

You probably already know this but a few magazines articles I've read have mention that braid is good for it's low stretch properties but it needs to be mated to a softer/medium action rod which allows the user to still strike hard but provides a bit more give in the rig to prevent pulled hooks.

Great marketing strategy if you ask me - sell expensive braid to encourage the purchase of new softer tipped graphite rods as most people have gone for fast to very fast action graphite rods, I know I did..

Never discount good old mono .. although I hardly use mono for lure fishing but use it extensively for bait fishing.

Re. flouro vs mono .. fish side by side with another and you will see the difference the mono will get less (to no) hits (straight through or leader). If you fish alone, it may not make a difference.

Not saying mono is no good, but you need to consider this is you are not fishing alone or are in a heavily fished area. Just what I have experienced.

You probably already know this but a few magazines articles I've read have mention that braid is good for it's low stretch properties but it needs to be mated to a softer/medium action rod which allows the user to still strike hard but provides a bit more give in the rig to prevent pulled hooks.

Great marketing strategy if you ask me - sell expensive braid to encourage the purchase of new softer tipped graphite rods as most people have gone for fast to very fast action graphite rods, I know I did..

Never discount good old mono .. although I hardly use mono for lure fishing but use it extensively for bait fishing.

Re. flouro vs mono .. fish side by side with another and you will see the difference the mono will get less (to no) hits (straight through or leader). If you fish alone, it may not make a difference.

Not saying mono is no good, but you need to consider this is you are not fishing alone or are in a heavily fished area. Just what I have experienced.

some good points there stylo

i don't often fish side by side with a similar skilled angler using fluoro.

but don't think i have expereinced any less hits using mono (leader or straight though) rather than fluoro

good point about the rods, that is probably why i love my pro tactic so much because it has a nice soft tip which aids in reducing shock.

kl

Hi Raiders, I still use 6lb mono when fishing for bream and whiting using nippers , I use braid and flurocarbon for flicking, don't know why but the mono seems to work better with the nippers, we get more hook-ups... There is definately still room for the old mono .. Cheers...

I used to use a Daiwa Heartland for my popper work but it was quite stiff. The Rack Raider worked very well, although probably a little short. I now use a Struddie Sic Stic Pro. Still has the backbone to wrestle them out of the snags, but with a more supple and sensitive tip. I am still using 4lb crystal and change my leader according to whether I am using poppers or pencils. This season I intend experimenting with different hook-setting techniques.

Cheers

Hodgey

Something which hasn't been mentioned in here is technique. Braid, mono, fluoro or rope, if you don't know how to fish topwater lures it makes no difference what line you use.

Something that many people get into the habit of doing is striking way too early. You need to be extra patient fishing topwater and really let the fish drag the lure under and get hold of it before you strike.

There is no reason why braid and a good leader should lose you any more fish than straight mono. With bream especially give them a good second or so to drag the lure under and start moving before striking.

If you use a stiffer rod allow more drag, if you use a softer rod allow less drag. Knowing your gear and how it performs is really important.

• 4 months later...

Just an update on this thread

i am now using Basic FC for my bass gear and i am very happy with the results. It is definitly more sensitive than any mono and very managable in 5lb on the spin gear. Bloody bulletproof in 8lb on the baitcaster

when throwing crankbaits short accurate distances i beleive you can't beat using flouro as our yank and Jap bass anglers have found.

for impoundment fishing maybe braid is a better idea but still experimenting with casting on the baitcaster

kael

Great topic..

I'm a big fan of mono for squidding and again, it's because of the increased stretch leading to measurably improved hook up to capture ratios. I think you're spot on that sometimes stretch is a positive, not a negative. One thing to try as an alternative to mono but without having to back off drag, is a longer, softer rod to cushion the 'connection' between hook and fish. It works on squiddlies.

Other places where the stretch is useful is fishing for soft mouthed species like Dory.

I've also taken to using single hooks on lures for some species (Salmon and Tailor for example) that are pretty nuts when hooked... again it improves the number of fish I land vs hook... I know stuff all about bass but maybe single hooks might be good with bronze battlers too... it works on spinner baits.

I reckon we all too often just assume that if it's new it has to be better. Good quality mono is a great tool but like all tools, it has its place.

Cheers, Slinky

Great topic..

I'm a big fan of mono for squidding and again, it's because of the increased stretch leading to measurably improved hook up to capture ratios. I think you're spot on that sometimes stretch is a positive, not a negative. One thing to try as an alternative to mono but without having to back off drag, is a longer, softer rod to cushion the 'connection' between hook and fish. It works on squiddlies.

Other places where the stretch is useful is fishing for soft mouthed species like Dory.

I've also taken to using single hooks on lures for some species (Salmon and Tailor for example) that are pretty nuts when hooked... again it improves the number of fish I land vs hook... I know stuff all about bass but maybe single hooks might be good with bronze battlers too... it works on spinner baits.

I reckon we all too often just assume that if it's new it has to be better. Good quality mono is a great tool but like all tools, it has its place.

Cheers, Slinky

great points there,

especially about single hooks, I tend to loose more fish on spinnerbaits than on trebles?

although i have taken to not flattening the barb on spinnerbaits and slickrigs and results have improved.

that is interesting about tailor and salmon i will have to give singles a go as i have lost some mega tailor on trebles :thumbdown:

i guess the whole point is to tailor both your rod and line to suit each fish and fishing situation and results will definitly improve :thumbup:

cheers

kael

Im a mono and flurocarbon person

i will never go back to braid especially Fireline :ranting2:

yeh i am loving sunline FC atm. I have serious trouble breaking off snags using the 8lb stuff :biggrin2:

but castaway PE is a sweet thing for bream :yahoo:

i will never use fireline again knot strength is horrible!!! and it just feels rough :thumbdown:

kael

i guess the whole point is to tailor both your rod and line to suit each fish and fishing situation and results will definitly improve :thumbup:

cheers

kael

Definitely mate! This is my justification to the missus everytime new lures, line, rods and reels 'appear' in the house! ;)

Cheers

Hodgey

especially about single hooks, I tend to loose more fish on spinnerbaits than on trebles?

although i have taken to not flattening the barb on spinnerbaits and slickrigs and results have improved.

cheers

kael

Kael

When you say loosing fish is it short strikes on the skirt ?

if so try adding a stinger hook to the spinnerbait hook

Smak spinnerbaits have the stinger already on them

Kael

When you say loosing fish is it short strikes on the skirt ?

if so try adding a stinger hook to the spinnerbait hook

Smak spinnerbaits have the stinger already on them

no they just tend to get off mid fight?

does the stinger make it more likely to snag?

no they just tend to get off mid fight?

does the stinger make it more likely to snag?

Yes Kael they may hook up a little more but you only use a single hook not trebles

see report from glenbawn last year not many where pinned in the main hook but lots on the stingers

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=36025