Soft Plastics

Eddeh

Hi raiders,

I'm interested in getting into soft plastics, and my plan is to get a small variety and give it a go.

At the moment, i'm planning to buy:

1 x Gulp Alive Tub 3" minnows in pumpkin seed

1 x Gulp Packet 3" minnows in nuclear chicken

any other suggestions? are the ones in tubs the same as the ones in packets? what size jigheads should i be getting? are the nitro/gamakatsu jigheads worth the extra cash?

also, are there any good nipper imitations? are the shrimp (from Gulp) and the prawn (from squidgies) any good or are i better off getting minnows?

after each session, can you keep the SP you were using and chuck it back in the bag or do you take the jig head out and then chuck it away?

look forward to hearing your replies!

Cheers,

Eddy

Thanks for that Hodgey, I'm after whiting, bream and flathead in that order =D

I notice that a variety of jig head sizes were mentioned, how do you decide on which jig head to use? does the shape of the jighead change anything?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Eddy

Hi Eddah, I target flatties and I use the 4" minnows and the 5" jerk shad variety's, Berkley Gulps,

Lime Tiger, Chartreuse, Any of the chicken flavours, Pepper Neon, these all work for me.

Jigheads, 2/0 or 3/0, hook size 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, ounce lead head, different weight for shallow , deep, fast moving water etc.. .. These are my choices I know they work, Cheers ....

G'day Mate...

When it comes to plastics it comes down to a matter of preference, you gotta just try and see what does it for you...

I like Squidgies because of their swimming action and they're easy to manage, ie user friendly, and they dont have smelly juices leaking all over the place...

I also like Gulp, i did notice they get more hits, but i dont like the plastic they're made of for some reason lol, and that damn juice they sit in...i manage to spill it, or have it leak in my bag...somehow lol

Then for Me, theres Atomic, which iv found to be a good alternative when i feel like a change...

Cheers, Harry.

Hi Eddeh,

The action you impart is equally as important as colour, size and type.

Flatties are not too picky. I have caught them on most types of rubbers. My favourites are the Squidgy Fish in Black and Gold, Berkley Pogys in Pumpkin Seed and Gulp 4" Minnows in any colour. A sharp whipping action works the best for me on Flatties. :biggrin2:

Whiting - when you work it out, can you let me know? :1prop:

Bream are a whole other story. I am no expert so I will leave that to the likes of GregL and Justin P.

Edited by Cephalopod

Bream are a whole other story. I am no expert so I will leave that to the likes of GregL and Justin P.

Chris I think you have me confused with someone who knows what they are doing, however I am extremely good at watching and netting Bream when Greg catches them, and every now and then Greg kindly lets me catch one :1prop: so instead of passing on advice we should all wait for Greg or another skilled Bream fisho to pass on the expert advice, Hodgey and Seeto seem to do allright as well, later raiders.

I prefer the packets for ease of carrying around if you have a few Berkely make a top little bag for them

The tubs tend to leak after opening best way to prevent this is to cut a hole in the center of the seal and dont lift the seal from the edge of the container