Can't Get The Bloody Pedestal Seats Out!

Golden Monk

Since sitting in my seats on the boat I cant seem to get the poles out of the holes..is there an easy way..am I missing something?, they wont budge :ranting2:

31291[/snapback]

GM it's a common problem and one I had a few months back. The metal the pedestal is made of is quite soft and the base of the tube flares out over time making it very hard to get out.

I got a lot of tips from the guys on here, but the tip that did the trick was from RichP, who said to use a car jack.

If you're game to try it, make sure you put the jack on a large thick square piece of wood to protect the flooring and a smaller block of wood under the seat to protect that.

Pukk'

P.S. Just remembered you're referring to a new boat, so the 'flaring' of the pedestal tube shouldn't be there. I think it might be worth giving the dealer you bought the boat from a call and asking him for a solution, that way he's made aware of the problem at the same time.

Edited by Pukka

Since sitting in my seats on the boat I cant seem to get the poles out of the holes..is there an easy way..am I missing something?, they wont budge :ranting2:

31291[/snapback]

GM it's a common problem and one I had a few months back. The metal the pedestal is made of is quite soft and the base of the tube flares out over time making it very hard to get out.

I got a lot of tips from the guys on here, but the tip that did the trick was from RichP, who said to use a car jack.

If you're game to try it, make sure you put the jack on a large thick square piece of wood to protect the flooring and a smaller block of wood under the seat to protect that.

Pukk'

P.S. Just remembered you're referring to a new boat, so the 'flaring' of the pedestal tube shouldn't be there. I think it might be worth giving the dealer you bought the boat from a call and asking him for a solution, that way he's made aware of the problem at the same time.

31295[/snapback]

If I put a car jack underneath, it will most likely just pop the seat off as the is just clamped to the post..but will give it a go anyhow, as well as let the dealer know.

Just a variation on Joe's great advise....Use 2 jacks! That way it comes up level. And if possible, tighten the seat base to the pole. On mine I have a tensioner that screws in to grab the pole tighter so as the seat doesn't spin. Yours may have the same.

Good luck.

Well went and got the jack, but didnt end up using it, just bashed them out with a piece of thick wood that I was going to use under the jack :thumbup:

Although I think I might oil it a bit make it slippery.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Edited by Golden Monk

Well went and got the jack, but didnt end up using it, just bashed them out with a piece of thick wood  that I was going to use under the jack :thumbup:

Although I think I might oil it a bit make it slippery.

Thanks for the advice guys.

31318[/snapback]

Use marine grease GM, oil won't do it.

Glad you sorted it :)

Pukk'