First Attempt At Squidding

spence

Went out yesterday morning from little manly into the harbour. I took some live poddy mullet as I usually like to target flathead at my local water way. Thought I would try squidding so I covered a fair bit of ground in the harbour till I found a spot where kelp meets headland and sand. This is my first go and after about half a dozen casts I felt a bit of a bump. I wondered could that have been a squid or was it weed. Threw into the same area again and worked jig like a soft plastic, then snagged. But hang on snags don't swim, then my light bream gear began to lose line and I thought a fish has grabbed the lure. Worked it to the boat and a large squid came on board. A couple of big ones were also following it. I stayed about another 20 minutes and managed a couple of smaller models which went out live but did not get touched. I prepared the large one for the table with salt, pepper and lime and it was a magnificent feed, much better than when I have bought it. I don't what type they were, but there were a few around and I dropped a few. If I had better technique I would have caught a bundle. I hope the photo attached.

post-5101-1221836105_thumb.jpg

Went out yesterday morning from little manly into the harbour. I took some live poddy mullet as I usually like to target flathead at my local water way. Thought I would try squidding so I covered a fair bit of ground in the harbour till I found a spot where kelp meets headland and sand. This is my first go and after about half a dozen casts I felt a bit of a bump. I wondered could that have been a squid or was it weed. Threw into the same area again and worked jig like a soft plastic, then snagged. But hang on snags don't swim, then my light bream gear began to lose line and I thought a fish has grabbed the lure. Worked it to the boat and a large squid came on board. A couple of big ones were also following it. I stayed about another 20 minutes and managed a couple of smaller models which went out live but did not get touched. I prepared the large one for the table with salt, pepper and lime and it was a magnificent feed, much better than when I have bought it. I don't what type they were, but there were a few around and I dropped a few. If I had better technique I would have caught a bundle. I hope the photo attached.

great catch on the squid

the squid you caught were calamari squid(hope i spelt it right)

fisherboy :1fishing1:

Edited by fisherboy

Well done mate, great first attempt.

They are southern calamari squid or green eye squid whatever you want to call them.

They definitely are 100times better eating than the crap you thought was good in the shops, freshness is the key.

Josh

Gday spence69

Nice work and even better for your first squid session :thumbup: . I plan to get the kayak out sunday morning for a quick squid session I hope I catch a few :biggrin2:

Cheers Ben