Braid Or Superline

trungie

Get some in a high vis colour (yellow is good)... it makes keeping track of your line as it washes around much easier. There are any number of good brands. As always I'll pop my self interest on the table and recommend Platypus Super Braid but as long as it is from a reputable manufacturer you'll be fine.

I'd also recommend you use line that is about the same diameter as the mono you would otherwise use... i.e. if you're using 20lb mono get braid the same thickness as that. It will be WAY stronger than you need (like around 50lb instead of 20lb). Y

ou won't need or necessarily be able to use the full breaking strain, but the thickness will mean its a lot stiffer so that it is much less likely to tangle as it wafts around in the surf.

Cheers, Slinky

Firstly, i'll assume you are using it on a spinning reel (dont try using braid on an alvey)

Go for a thick and stiff braid, like slinky said.

Fireline is cheap and nasty, in my opinion, but its thick and stiff so will give you minimal grief in the waves. Other more supple (true) braids can be a pain in the a$$ in the surf.

I'd go about 20lb (which has a breaking strain of more like 30lb).

Firstly, i'll assume you are using it on a spinning reel (dont try using braid on an alvey)

Go for a thick and stiff braid, like slinky said.

Fireline is cheap and nasty, in my opinion, but its thick and stiff so will give you minimal grief in the waves. Other more supple (true) braids can be a pain in the a$$ in the surf.

I'd go about 20lb (which has a breaking strain of more like 30lb).

I agree!!! I have aweful trouble with the supple braids where there is a risk of slack line. :mad3:

Edited by Cephalopod

I’m not criticising your choice GeekFisherman, but I was wondering why you’d put braid on a beach rod? If you are mainly fishing for salmon and tailor, you are not going to get many “nibbles”. From my experience, those fish tend to just smash a bait. No little tap … tap … tap, like you can get with bream and whiting. I’d be interested in hearing from any beach fishos that use braid and what they think. I spent many years beach fishing (pre-boat days) and never used anything greater than 15lb mono for salmon, tailor, flathead etc. and for bream, tarwhine, trevs and whiting - 10lb or lighter. Is it really worth it, especially if you’re concentrating on salmon and tailor? Just my opinion.

Cheers

Peter

i use 20lb TufLine in the surf... have beach fished for about 3 years now and nailed salmon, tailor, soapies, flatties etc etc on it and never had an issue.

no wind knots, no slack line issues (line goes slack of corse but no issues with tangles), no unexplained bust-offs from weed or rocks - in fact you can sometimes saw through the weed with the thin braid!

only issue ive had is surfers and i think Sammy hooked the tail end of a jetski once too

i find the braid very beneficial in the surf, you can easily feel where your bait is washing around and get a good mental picture of the terrain you are fishing. you can also feel the pickers so as to make a better judgement as to whether or not you have been bait theived!

Also tailor and salmon do muck around with ganged pillies a bit - you'd just never know it without braid

definately a fan of braid on the beach.

CFD

Everything you say makes sense crazedfisherdude. Perhaps I should give that Tufline a go. Maybe I didn't know what was nibbling when using mono. I admit I thought there may have been some slack line issues and tangles, but I'll take your word for it. Just proves that you're never too old to learn something or try something new.

As for surfers and jetskis ... that's another issue! I've hooked a few of them in my time!

Cheers and thanks

Peter

slinky, re using the same thickness, will i get any casting advantages if i use lower diameter braid? i prefer to try and cast as far as possible, in case the school is out further.

no mono, yes spining wheel, cheers. why not an alvey? i assume line twist?

new question!!

1) how much should i be paying for 300m?

2) what knots are recommended for swivels and hooks?

3) any tips if i want to snell with braid? or is it just the same as mono?

slinky, re using the same thickness, will i get any casting advantages if i use lower diameter braid? i prefer to try and cast as far as possible, in case the school is out further.

no mono, yes spining wheel, cheers. why not an alvey? i assume line twist?

new question!!

1) how much should i be paying for 300m?

2) what knots are recommended for swivels and hooks?

3) any tips if i want to snell with braid? or is it just the same as mono?

1)300m braid should cost about $60-$70 in tackle shops but could be more or less, depends on brand.

2) The uni knot with atleast 6 or 7 wraps is a good knot more terminal attachments.

3) Haven't tried snelling with braid, would just use mono/flurocarbon as leader and do it, if you try it i'd just say you'd need quite a few more wraps to avoid slipping.

Josh

Yes... if you use finer diameter line you will get more casting distance but that won't help a lot if your line is too fine, supple and gets tangles. Also, don't make the mistake of a lot of fishos and think that you have to heave every cast a million miles. Fish the beach structure (gutters, holes, etc) even if they're right at your feet. That's where the fish will be looking for a feed.

If you're always casting to distant schools of salmon and stuff as your main target, then go for finer line... but I'd also suggest you use metal lures instead of bait.... it will let you cast a lot further still because of the weight and limited wind resistance. Maybe take a 2nd outfit and keep it rigged up ready for any schools that swim past out a bit wider???

Cheers, Slinky

I just got back from the south coast fishing for salmon and tailor and my outfit was outstanding.

It consisted of a 7'7" 3-6kg graphite rod matched to a new stradic 3000.

choose of line was even more critical, i spooled one spool with 12lb fireline(GSP) and the other with 12lb unitika saltwater PE. the difference was day and night. The unitika (true braid) is 1/2 the diameter :1yikes:

and probably casts twice as far. Distance at times using metal lures was just MASSIVE, and so was the knot strength, all breakoffs occurred at the leader to lure knot :thumbup:

i used 12lb maxima mono for leader.

I know some people have issues with wind knots using true braid but i did not have a single knot in 6 hours of casting in very windy conditions

oh and this outfit handled salmon 60+cm with ease :yahoo:

cheers

bm