Downrigger Advice

Bar Up

Just bought a Scotty downrigger with rod holder mount for the Barcrusher 560. First intention was to mount out the side but have just read that you can't do this with the rod holder mount and it can only go straight out the back. Problem now is the boom is not long enough to make it all the way out.

My next thought is to fix the mounting plate directly to the gunwale using bolts. Couple of concerns have arisen.

1) Will the combination of stainless steel bolts and nuts cause corrosion with the aluminium (I am sure I have read this somewhere) and if so what other type of steel bolts should I use.

2) Being an aluminium boat do I need to have a backing plate under the gunwale to support?

Thanks

Bar Up

J

1) Will the combination of stainless steel bolts and nuts cause corrosion with the aluminium

Use stainless fasteners with 'duralac' jointing paste (boat shops) no electrolysis issues.

2) Being an aluminium boat do I need to have a backing plate under the gunwale to support?

Yes. A polyethylene chopping board from the $2 shitty shop works great.

Thanks

Bar Up

PS do NOT use the supplied rod holder! It will only end in tears :1crybaby:

Just bought a Scotty downrigger with rod holder mount for the Barcrusher 560. First intention was to mount out the side but have just read that you can't do this with the rod holder mount and it can only go straight out the back. Problem now is the boom is not long enough to make it all the way out.

My next thought is to fix the mounting plate directly to the gunwale using bolts. Couple of concerns have arisen.

1) Will the combination of stainless steel bolts and nuts cause corrosion with the aluminium (I am sure I have read this somewhere) and if so what other type of steel bolts should I use.

You can get a tube of anty corosion paste at any good marien supply shop. I had the same problem and yes this does happen. It come in handy for any other sorts of mods.

I have mine off the side anyway but bolted it down as well.

Thanks

No you dont, just use agood size washer under the boat, with the anti corrosion goo as well. Remember that the down rigger only uses the weight of the bomb, the line lets go at the peg as soon as the rod goes off then you might have the problem that Jigolio mentioned. The rod holder might not be good enough for big kingie you just hooked up but if you have a baitrunner like I have, use the secondary drag on tight the grab your rod and FLICK THE SWITCH AND BANG! YOUR ON :yahoo:

Bar Up

good luck :thumbup:

Gday Mate,

I ran a Cannon Mag 20 off the gunnal of my Bar Crusher without a backing plate . The Aluminium is 4mm thick if I remember right. This downrigger was a heavy unit and I had no problems with it.

I aslo used stainless bolts but I did grease them to greate a barrier between the Al and the Stainless.

Bar Crushers are a grreat boat. Cant wait till i by my next one in 2010.

Cheers

Balmain Bob

Mate.

Just had another thought. Over size the drill and insert rubber grommets to protect the Al from the satainless and use wider Dia washeser to spread the load.

Geee , Wish I had thought of that ;ast year!!!

Balmain Bob

onya Bob :tease:

Can see absolutely no reason why it should not go over the side... other than the amount of slack in the line to the rod tip creating a backlash on the strike... if you load the rod up as much as you can before the clip releases you can overcome this.

Also make sure you put some wirecutters or something handy - if the bomb hangs up on something and the wind is blowing you can be in big trouble.