Lights At Night

Dhutchy

G'day Raiders,

I want to give some night fishing a try off my Quintrex, and I having hassles with a PERKO lighting stem. Unplugged, away from the boat, on an old torch battery I can get the lamp to work, plugged into the socket, at the stern of the boat and its a no go. It looks to be wired direct to the battery switch, I have checked the connections and all seem to be fine. Does anyone have any (polite) advice or its a visit to an auto electrician?

Also, what other lights to folk carry on board. I have seen everything from torches to search lights worthy of Alcatraz?

Rgds

Dhutchy

Its not about catching fish but it helps

Edited by Dhutchy

Gday Mate

I would use a multi meter to check that the + and _ parts of the socket are connected and working properly. You may find that the negative wire is not earthed.

If you done have a multi meter you can make one with a 12 volt globe and 2 wires

Hope this helps

Balmain Bob

Thanks Balmain Bob and Flatty Hunter. I will check the socket and the fuses, which will hopefully reveal the prob, and prevent having to rewire it. Thanks for your responses.

Rgds

Dhutchy

Its not about catching fish, but it helps.

I had a removable stern light (i presume that is what you have) that drove me mad.

The light worked on a battery, the socket had juice in it and it just wouldnt work.

I continually had to clean the connection pins and spray the socket with an electrical cleaning spray (dont remember the name) even then there were times when it would work perfect all night then just go off mid trip.

Unfortunately 12v isn't powerful enough to burn off grit and stuff. Salt air has a tendency to do nasty things to copper so the least amount of connections in a boat the better. If possible hard wiring your lighting resolves most problems.

Dave

G/day Dhutchy,

Get a tube of wurth Sabesto, Put that over any terminal and connector

works permanently against oxidisation.

cheers Ric.

Thanks raiders, Rickb and Davemmm, I will do as you suggest. Thanks for your suggestions. Fishraiders are tops.

Rgds

Dhutchy

Its not about catching fish, but it helps

Hi Everyone, the lights show continues, or rather it doesn't. Connecting direct to the battery of my Quinnie the Perko Stern light glows as it should. In the socket, after cleaning and checking wires it doesn't. It appears that the socket is wired to the switch board at the helm, which I suspect is shorting somehow.

Now, the cheapest and easiest answer would be to wire direct to battery. The question I have for all you expert raiders is that: a) does such a connect require a switch B) what wiring is best to make such a connection c) is connecting the Perko Stern Light direct to the battery safe.

The Auto Electrician has quoted $88.00 for the first hour, but expects the job to be sorted close to or around that time - depending on whether he has to source parts.

Any ideas - also what other additional lightning do you Raiders recommend for night fishing

Rgds

Dhutchy

Its not about catching fish, but it helps

Where are you located Dhutchy.

Rather than pay $88 to get started, and potentially more, maybe a Raider could drop around and give you a hand.

Thanks Davemmm, I am at West Pymble, but don't really want to put anyone to any trouble. People are generous enough to put their suggestions up on the site.

Rgds

David