Flushing With Rainwater...

bmar560

Hi all,

Since my dad installed a rainwater tank at home I've been using the rainwater to flush my engine.

Is it OK to do so ? does anyone here do the same ?

I don't feel guilty anymore when I flush my engine for 5minutes and wash off the boat after that.

Cheers,

Mario

Hi all,

Since my dad installed a rainwater tank at home I've been using the rainwater to flush my engine.

Is it OK to do so ? does anyone here do the same ?

I don't feel guilty anymore when I flush my engine for 5minutes and wash off the boat after that.

Cheers,

Mario

Hey Mario,

Apart from being good for Sydney's water supply, you'll be happy to know that rainwater is perfectly fine for washing your boat and flushing your motor.

The salinity of rainwater is less or equal to that of drinking water which is absolutely minute so nothing to worry about.

You have to use organic and filtered rainwater or bottled perrier if it is Ross's ETEC but normal water for any mere mortal motor is fine as long as the water is clear as tanks can silt up but I'm sure your dad would have a first flow diverter nad a mesh strainer from the downpipe. Bird , animal and plant matter can change the PH of water a lot if let into a tank especially with sunlight. Just be careful that if you are using muffs you probably need a pressure pump on the tank or quite a head ( fall from tank to motor 20 foot high) to ensure the motor is getting enough of a good water supply.

Edited by pelican

You have to use organic and filtered rainwater or bottled perrier if it is Ross's ETEC but normal water for any mere mortal motor is fine as long as the water is clear as tanks can silt up but I'm sure your dad would have a first flow diverter nad a mesh strainer from the downpipe. Bird , animal and plant matter can change the PH of water a lot if let into a tank especially with sunlight. Just be careful that if you are using muffs you probably need a pressure pump on the tank or quite a head ( fall from tank to motor 20 foot high) to ensure the motor is getting enough of a good water supply.

thanks for replies :thumbup:

water is clear as far as I know and in the inflow there's a strainer that's made of some sort of cloth.

I do have a pump running when I flush the engine otherwise the water will only trickle down. and with the new earmuff I just purchased the water flows a lot better in and out of the outboard.

• 2 weeks later...