Opening Weekend For Trout

covanova

I normally try and avoid opening weekend, gets a little crowded I find. Next weekend though....

Should be quite a good openening weekend though with the rivers and streams flowing nicely. Hope you get a few covanova :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

I just came back from the snowies. Heaps of people fishing the lower thredbo near the bridge, but that's seemed to be where the fish were. We tried up river but didn't see any trout and no follows.

Slow all round. Saw a few fish. Got smoked by a good fish on a sx-40 and 4lb leader. Upped it to 8lb and caught a healthy 38cm male rainbow on a rapala rainbow trout minnow. A lot of guys nimphing seemed to be doing a bit better.

Weather changed each day - was in t-shirt on sunday, then snowed on monday!

Covanova did you get a chance to fish over the weekend. How did you go?

I was up there on Sunday. Caught 12 between two of us, the river had good flow and was slightly discoloured after the rain. Looks like it's going to be a good season.

Cheers,

Dean

I had a report today from a friend who normally fishes around the Tarana area. She didn't fish the weekend but her husband did and got 30 (he releases). She said they are going to have to start keeping a few if they want to ensure bigger trout.

Baz

Hi,

I was in Barington Tops at the weekend and also visited few streams.Few rainbows not a big ones caught in Manning river on a dry fly.But next day all rivers became brown and dirty because of big rain, so fishing looked desperating.

Gid

Got back from Flat Rock yesterday after 6 days camping.

Got about 8 fish each day between me and the mrs but dropped a lot more.

there where anglers everywhere, I have never seen it so bad in the last 4 years we have been going up there for the opening weekend.

the river was nice on friday and saterday but got dirty after the rain and stayed brown.

caught most fish on lures but managed 5 on fly, little black nymphs, 1 red tag and 1 not sure but a little brown grey dry.

Will head up again in a few weeks for a day.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I was in Barington Tops at the weekend and also visited few streams.Few rainbows not a big ones caught in Manning river on a dry fly.But next day all rivers became brown and dirty because of big rain, so fishing looked desperating.

Gid

Hi Gid

Do you have any info on where is best to fish in Barrington tops, i've heard that some of the bestplaces are on private land, don't know how true as ive never been but seeing as i live in Terrigal, its not too far to drive,any info would be appreciated( which rivers/streams/places etc

Thanks Steve

Got back from Flat Rock yesterday after 6 days camping.

Got about 8 fish each day between me and the mrs but dropped a lot more.

there where anglers everywhere, I have never seen it so bad in the last 4 years we have been going up there for the opening weekend.

the river was nice on friday and saterday but got dirty after the rain and stayed brown.

caught most fish on lures but managed 5 on fly, little black nymphs, 1 red tag and 1 not sure but a little brown grey dry.

Will head up again in a few weeks for a day.

cheers

Hi Yes Dear

Where abouts is flat rock, i live in Terrigal and would really lke to get back into the flyfishing after a 2 year lay off, got the bug back after a recent trip to NZ's south island

Thanks Steve

Hi Gid

Do you have any info on where is best to fish in Barrington tops, i've heard that some of the bestplaces are on private land, don't know how true as ive never been but seeing as i live in Terrigal, its not too far to drive,any info would be appreciated( which rivers/streams/places etc

Thanks Steve

Hi Yes Dear

Where abouts is flat rock, i live in Terrigal and would really lke to get back into the flyfishing after a 2 year lay off, got the bug back after a recent trip to NZ's south island

Thanks Steve

Steve it is between Tarana and O connell on Muttons Falls road.

You have to be careful where you fish as a lot of the river is on private property but if you head down stream from the reserve and stick to the left hand side you should be fine, always respect the farmers and shut gates, don't break fences, dont' leave rubbish behind and try not to spook the live stock.

cheers Steve.

Hi Gid

Thanks Steve

Hi Steve,

It was the first time for me in Barrington Tops, so I can't give any serious advise.I've met a flyfisher on the bank of Manning river (upper part), he said that there are a lot of good trouts in there.But it is difficult to cast with fly rod because of a lot of scrubs,therefore he had and lures.Also I've tried ISIS river wich is tributary of Hunter river,but I didnt catch anything and the water was very brown, so nothing important.

Cheers Gid