Top Day At Box Head

knapers

After a massive night friday night/saturday morning, fishing wasnt the first thing that came to mind when i awoke mid Saturday afternoon, but i had told Dad the day before that i would go and god only knows what would happen if i went against my word.

We put the boat in at Parsley Bay and went straight to the rail bridge, got zilch there, but Dad woke me up at 2am (not happy at all about this) so we could move the boat for the change of tide. I am a bit dissapointed about the Rail Bridge, fished there last weekend for nothing other than a massive Pike Eel and some Port Jackson sharks. Anyway both Dad and I slept in and missed the start to what turned into a wicked day.

Dad wanted to troll some lures around so we headed from the Rail Bridge out to Broken Bay, noticed allot of birds next to Flint and Steel so put the lures out and all we got was a small Tailor. Kept Trolling from Flint and Steel around to West Head and up around Palmy headland for nothing. Dad was very surprised about this and we decided to head to the always reliable, Box Head.

Arriving at Box Head we didnt notice anything special so we trolled up past it and after about 5 minutes of going North of Box Head we turned and came back only to find a massive flock of Birds, not breaking the surface but they were still obviously interested in something. Still trolling we hooked onto a couple of alright Tailor, and noticed big schools of bait fish all around the place.

Anyway we were only trolling with 2 Rapala Cd-9's, one was red and white and the other was similar to the colour of a Slimy. Both on Shimano Baitrunners one smaller than the other. To get to the point, after more trolling and me landing a really nice Bonito, and Dad also landing a nice Bonitio, we were pretty happy, when all of a sudden Dads drag starts to scream. After a long fight we get some colour and we see a big fish, Dad called it for a King because when it saw the boat it just went nuts, but when we landed it, it turned out to be the biggest Bonito that i have ever seen, this thing was chunky, it went to about 4kg's. I hope to have some pics back soon. We landed another one trolling back to Lion Island, after that we headed back up to past the Highway Bridge and to a reef thats on the corner of that Island past The Vines. :risata: , sorry but i have forgotten the name of it.

Drop anchor on the drop of from reef to mud. I put down a butterflied Tailor on the TLD, and a squid head on the bigger Baitrunner, and a prawn on the smaller one and finally and whole fresh squid on the Tiagra. Still suffering from a lack of sleep and a few beers with Dad the night before, i really should have let him hook up the Baitrunner with the squid on it, because it really got thumped but i lost the hook. I was leaning down to the burley pot and the TLD was right next to my face when it started to SCREAM, really taking line i grabbed it and set the hooks the fight took ages with a fair few runs, Dad and i were going nuts really thinking it was a big Jew but after about 10 minutes it turned out to be a BIG Ray that was foul hooked on its Tail. I was so pissed and to make matters worse i put the Rod down to help Dad get the hooks out, but the bloody thing did a runner, and i grabbed the rod and the braid really laid into my fingers, good thing it snapped of.

The current started to run pretty hard so we decided to head home. Thats about it. The Bonito really saved our fishing trip for the weekend, and like i said, i hope to post some picks soon as well.

Cheers fellas, Knapers.

Guest hottuna

well done, only caught 2 bonnies at 4 kg and they go real hard, unfortunatly mine were caught on heavy 24kg tackle while targetting big kings, with livies

dan