The Drought Is Over

Captain Pugwash

Well, I thought we had killed a chinaman.

Since returning from hols mid jan we have hardly caught a decent fish. Plagued with engine problems and yachts running over my line while hooked up to a monster fish and even a legal kingy being snatched from a rope that I had him on while bleeding him, it has been the worst run of fishing ever. Sat just gone we brought home not a single table fish which hasn't happened to us in our two years on the harbour.

So Sunday morning we head out full of fear that our run of outs would continue. We had a mate on board, Dave ( who is Fishraider Weasel's big brother ) and had been out many times with us and was used to the fact we KNEW how to put him onto fish. Off we went to an array of our normal spots and again ZIP, SWEET FA and so on. In the howling wind decided to head to reef beach for some respite and straight away land a reasonable leatherjacket. You BEWDY I think, we might be OK after all. Proceed to berley like hell and get ........ Nothing!

What next? Buggered if I know was the answer. So, in desperation I head back to a spot called the wreck (which has been great to us) only to find a dive boat and a howling wind! :1badmood:

But then, what's this? They are pulling up anchor! :thumbup: So i motor into position, drop the anchor, and was waiting to settle when the dive boat pulls up next to me and announces that they are about to dive. I say but you were just pulling anchor and he replys that's because the anchor didn't hold at the first attempt. I think he saw the look on my face and said OK he would anchor a little distance away but they would still be diving right where we were. It was then I decided so what, I was here first and if we catch a scuba diver then so be it!

So, we berley up and within minutes have a school of nice yakkas around. Dave and I start on them while Dollface heads to the bottom finding some baby squire interested. We are just setting out some livies when the divers bubble start encircling the boat. GREAT says I, nothing will happen while they are down there.

How wrong can you be?

Dave lets out a holler that the livie on the bottom is moving and sure enough, BANG! off it goes! I grab it and sure enough we have a fish of substance to contend with. Within seconds we know it's not a kingy because it's fighting clean and sure enough I eventually haul on board a nice 2.5kg salmon who gave a very good account of himself! Smiles all round after what we had been through recently!

Then Davey brings on board a plate size flatty which we are happy with, Dollface is continuing to pepper us with small squire and the planets are starting to realign at last.

Then the final confirmation that world order has been restored! The call goes up that one of the livies on a balloon has "gone off" and sure enough it was game on! Quite a few nervous minutes later ( for fear of the hex returning ) a 60cm Kingy comes on board courtesy of Dave's handy net work. Peace at last! :1prop:

All is OK, life is beautiful, scuba divers are good for fishing and to top it off, can you believe it another livie on the bottom gets hammered. I tell Dave to go for it and after a helluva struggle he boats a magnificent 3kg Salmon!

After weeks of frustration we finally were back "in the action" and were very happy campers! Fingers crossed, the boat is fixed and "we are BACK BABY!!!!!!!!"

Cheers

Pete

I reall liked your report Pugs.

I have had three slow sessions in a row so you have given me hope.

Re impact of scuba divers, I dive a bit and I don't think divers systematically scare the fish away, otherwise there wouldn't be much to see on the bottom!