Grays Point 12/10/08

mako1

Hit Grays Point at 5:30am.

Walked the flats flicking a popper for whiting and bream.

There were alot of fish hitting small prawns on the surface.

It was great to watch. I kept persisting with the popper and finally

had my first hit at about 6:30am but I missed the hookup. I had five more

good hits but missed them all. Four of the hits were from good sized whiting

and I couldn't believe how they launched themselves out of the water to hit the

popper. The other two hits came from bream whacking the popper in a big splash.

The sun was coming up so I grabbed my other rod which had a large squidgie wriggler

on it. I worked the deep channel and on the eighth cast I had a good hit. This fish hit hard

and took off into the channel. It took about twenty meters of line before it turned and I started

working the fish back into the shallows. Every time it came onto the flats it took off to the deep

channel. Then the headshakes started. I was finally able to work the fish up onto the shallows

and I had my first glimpse of it. It was a flathead and a really good one.

When I saw it the adrenalin really started pumping and I quickly backed the drag off.

A few more minutes of headshakes and short runs and I was finally able to beach the big girl.

It went 95cm and is a new PB for me.

post-2229-1223772145_thumb.jpg

post-2229-1223772184_thumb.jpg

After a few photos she was slipped back into the water. She rested for about five minutes before

slowly making her way back to the deep channel. It was a great sight.

I continued fishing for an hour longer and had a few more flathead hits but missed the hookups.

Finished up at about 9am. It was a top morning and I was so happy to get a PB flathead.

I'm also really keen to get back out and give the poppers a go again. That was so much fun.

Hit Grays Point at 5:30am.

Walked the flats flicking a popper for whiting and bream.

There were alot of fish hitting small prawns on the surface.

It was great to watch. I kept persisting with the popper and finally

had my first hit at about 6:30am but I missed the hookup. I had five more

good hits but missed them all. Four of the hits were from good sized whiting

and I couldn't believe how they launched themselves out of the water to hit the

popper. The other two hits came from bream whacking the popper in a big splash.

The sun was coming up so I grabbed my other rod which had a large squidgie wriggler

on it. I worked the deep channel and on the eighth cast I had a good hit. This fish hit hard

and took off into the channel. It took about twenty meters of line before it turned and I started

working the fish back into the shallows. Every time it came onto the flats it took off to the deep

channel. Then the headshakes started. I was finally able to work the fish up onto the shallows

and I had my first glimpse of it. It was a flathead and a really good one.

When I saw it the adrenalin really started pumping and I quickly backed the drag off.

A few more minutes of headshakes and short runs and I was finally able to beach the big girl.

It went 95cm and is a new PB for me.

post-2229-1223772145_thumb.jpg

post-2229-1223772184_thumb.jpg

After a few photos she was slipped back into the water. She rested for about five minutes before

slowly making her way back to the deep channel. It was a great sight.

I continued fishing for an hour longer and had a few more flathead hits but missed the hookups.

Finished up at about 9am. It was a top morning and I was so happy to get a PB flathead.

I'm also really keen to get back out and give the poppers a go again. That was so much fun.

Awesome, good to see they are coming back in numbers, on Friday i also went out got into them using the Prawn star lures, dropped two landed a 64cm one, I may have to try Grays point in the near future.

Great fish mate. It's a great spot just for a walk let alone a fish. I got my best ever whiting in the narrow channel down there a couple of years ago on a nipper.

Funny thing is a couple of blokes were going past in their tinnie at the time and I could hear them talking about how hard it was fishing the shore down there and basically how lucky they were to have a boat. At the time I was envious of them and thought how I'd love to have a boat and how there must be oodles of fish out there waiting for me to catch them. Strange thing is I can't remeber leaving down there without at least a fish or 2 for a feed. In the following years I have had access to a boat and have given Grays Point a bit of a miss. To be honest since then I have had more unsucsessful trips in the Hacking then sucsessful ones. The grass isn't always greener as they say.

Anyway your report has encouraged me to get back down there and have a bit of a fish! Thanks for that and congrats again.

i was down the ramp bringing my boat in after at night fish today at around 3 in the morning .. seen a guy getting out of his car getting ready to go fishing .. dont think it was you but..

anyway nice bloody fish mate :yahoo:

Edited by cut_loose