Grays Point 12/10/08

mako1

G'day,

Mate its a good spot around there for flatties.

Fished that spot a few years ago a couple of times with a mate.

One of the guys got a big one but not as big as yours :1yikes:

Well done and top catch and release.

Mike

Awsome catch and release mate. I used to lure the hell out of that place and never got a strike. I concluded that the water was too clear but you've certaintly proven that theory wrong. Well done.

I remember once using live poddies down there and something picked my bait up and kept going...... bang spooled and that was the end of that. Nice place down there. I've also seen a big green turtle and a deer.

Nath

Thanks for all of the replies.

Great fish Mako. What size and brand of poppers were you using?

I was using a Rebel Pop-R in a clear colour. It's about 5cm long.

I also tried a small Towadi surface lure, which seemed to mimic the small prawns

better but it didn't get a touch. They seemed to prefer the greater disturbance

created from the popper.

Nice work there,ive had similar problem with hook up on poppers,i think being over anxious and being a little more hesitant is the key..

This is second time I have popper fished for whiting and bream and the first time I've had hits.

The hits took me by complete surprise and I couldn't help reacting with a strike which I think is the problem.

I think I just have to keep the retrive going even if I get a strike.

that is fantastic and really inspiring...i might give grays a go and see what it produces for me...it also looks alike a good spot to take the young fella to and have flick...thanks for the report...

It's a top spot to fish with plastics and very safe too.

The only thing to be careful of is the stingrays and numb rays if you wade out onto the sandflats.

In the early morning there are heaps of them.

Great fish mate. It's a great spot just for a walk let alone a fish. I got my best ever whiting in the narrow channel down there a couple of years ago on a nipper.

Funny thing is a couple of blokes were going past in their tinnie at the time and I could hear them talking about how hard it was fishing the shore down there and basically how lucky they were to have a boat. At the time I was envious of them and thought how I'd love to have a boat and how there must be oodles of fish out there waiting for me to catch them. Strange thing is I can't remeber leaving down there without at least a fish or 2 for a feed. In the following years I have had access to a boat and have given Grays Point a bit of a miss. To be honest since then I have had more unsucsessful trips in the Hacking then sucsessful ones. The grass isn't always greener as they say.

Anyway your report has encouraged me to get back down there and have a bit of a fish! Thanks for that and congrats again.

I have a boat too but sometimes i like to grab a couple of rods and go for a flick or bait fish from the shore.

There are so many great spots to fish and Grays Point is one of them being right on the national park and

sometimes I have better catches from the shore then from the boat and there is less to clean up too at the end of the session.

Mako top crock mate!!!

5 cm to the meter club...and on SP toboot

When you were getting her in did she put up her flags?? (Dorsal fin)

cheers

inhlanzi

She put them up abit after her short runs on the sand flat and also when I was swimming her.

i was down the ramp bringing my boat in after at night fish today at around 3 in the morning .. seen a guy getting out of his car getting ready to go fishing .. dont think it was you but..

anyway nice bloody fish mate :yahoo:

I don't think it was me as I arrived at 5:30am and I parked at the end of Grays Point Rd.

G'day,

Mate its a good spot around there for flatties.

Fished that spot a few years ago a couple of times with a mate.

One of the guys got a big one but not as big as yours :1yikes:

Well done and top catch and release.

Mike

It's a great spot for flatties and also whiting and bream. There is so much bait and activity early in the

mornings and there are huge amounts of small, medium and large mullet that come over the flats and through the channel on a run out tide. You can just imagine the flathead lining up on the channel edge

waiting to pick them off as they pass over.

top flathead,isnt it a buzz when you see the whiting whack ya popper,my mate got 1 on a popper yesterday and is hooked.

where is grays point.

a good flicking spot for kg whiting is cronulla

I didn't even get a fish on the popper but I'm still hooked.

Grays Point is up the Hacking river near North West Arm and south of Gymea Bay.

Great report,

Great fish,

Great photos,

Great scenery,

Great release,

Great weather -

Don't think much of your shoes though :tease:

They are my black boots. I only where those when i want to catch flathead under 1m :1prop:

Watch out when I put my grey ones on. Grey boots at Grays Point, I just think I may crack

that 1m mark :biggrin2:

Awsome catch and release mate. I used to lure the hell out of that place and never got a strike. I concluded that the water was too clear but you've certaintly proven that theory wrong. Well done.

I remember once using live poddies down there and something picked my bait up and kept going...... bang spooled and that was the end of that. Nice place down there. I've also seen a big green turtle and a deer.

Nath

The water is really clear at Grays Point like at most of the spots in the Hacking.

I haven't fished this spot alot but when I do I've found that the early morning starts are the best

and if you can time it with the high tide change it's even better.

I work the flats at first light and then move into the deeper channel when the suns up.

I've found that the natural coloured lures work better and to downsize you leader as the sun comes up.

I wouldn't be surprised if a jewie took you mullet as there are so many mullet down there. I don't think the

jewies would be far away from that many mullet.