Weekend Warriors

choad

A delayed report from Saturday, as I was waiting for a mate to email me some pics.

The day began at a deserted roseville boat ramp an hour before dawn. We picked up a brace of livies (yakkas) - about the only fish I can gaurantee on Choad Charters. We tried a new spot for squid as the stock standard Spit Bridge drift, although seemingly popular amongst Sydney fishos, has always been a disappointment for me. The new spot lived up to Spit standards.... zip. The post dawn hour somehow slipped away during that squid session so we rigged up the livies and started a troll through some select spots in MH. We saw presumed kings on the sounder and a bit of spooked yakka action but no takes. Before we knew it it was 10:30am and time for a change of tactics.

We decided to collect some more livies and head outside. Whilst gathering bait near a reef I picked up this oogly from the bottom using a patternoster rig on frayed 6pd vanish fluorocarbon. (the rod is the one to the left of the picture)

post-2871-1223976091_thumb.jpg

post-2871-1223976119_thumb.jpg

At first i thought i was reefed after the initial tap, tap. If it wasn't for slow sideways movement I would of thought it was an anchor or big chunk of reef junk. 20 minutes of fight in ten metres of water gave the old imagination plenty of time to wish for a big lizard but unfortunately THIS thing came up.

Anyhow, it was the biggest Port Jackson shark I've ever boated and the biggest fish I've caught in the new boat. It went an estimated 140cm and 15kg. It swam off as if nothing had happened shortly after the photo. The rest of the morning and afternoon was spent chasing (and wretching) after salmon outside the heads. It would have been fun if not for sea sickness.

11hrs later and pulling into the driveway empty handed apart from a bag full of bait for the freezer and the :wife: looking like this :wife:, reality set back in... I thought to myself, "Maybe it's time for a fishing break. Rejuvenate the hunger. Regain the faith.".... that was of course until I saw the emailed pics and remembered my "trophy" Port Jackson on 6pd line. I feel another session coming on this weekend. Yakkas and triple refrozen bait here I come!

Edited by choad

:074::074: i just posted a pj in the records as a laugh and it gets smashed in 5 min,that's what fishing is all about,do'nt be shy there must be 20 pics you all have hiden somwere

well done mate on smashing the pj record the crown is now yours till the weekend that is :biggrin2:

cherrs grinning gary

a pj social i do'nt think that one would be a goer :074: but just think jewys would be the bycatch

gary

hey i just remembered some thing the one i caught was female and so is yours and mine had what looked like the barbs cut off and so does yours

i wonder if that happens when they mate

just an observation gary

Edited by brickman

Too bad you didn't get what you were after.

Catching something that size on 6lb line is a bloody good effort, i've had that feeling of is it a reef or what?? quite a few times, more often than not turns out to be some sort of shark.

Hopefully next week....

Josh

a pj social i do'nt think that one would be a goer :074: but just think jewys would be the bycatch

gary

hey i just remembered some thing the one i caught was female and so is yours and mine had what looked like the barbs cut off and so does yours

i wonder if that happens when they mate

just an observation gary

Did someone say Port Jackson Social, I'm in.. Cheers..

post-3371-1223982198_thumb.jpg

Choad......

Look over you left shoulder mate... We call that spot Squiddyland! :biggrin2:

I never said that on a public forum OK :1prop:

Robbie.

I bet the PJ came from the deep trench too!! :074:

Nice fish on 6lb Choad. May not be a table fish but a great capture is a great capture :thumbup:

Cheers, Slinky