Canoe King

kingiemaster

Howdy Raiders,

Been a while since my last post as I haven't had much to report/ been fishing much.

This morning was one of those sessions when everything went just so.

Brought the canoe up from the south coast on Monday. Has been down at my mums in Moruya for the last few years. As good as the canoe fishing is I don't get down there much so thought I'd bring it up to Sydney.

I have caught plenty of quality estuary fish from this canoe over the past 20 years, from Sydney to the Vic border, but today I thought I'd take it to the next level.

Put the canoe in near the Spit and had four squid in me (new) keeper net by sun up.

Paddled over to Seaforth and dropped d'Bomb.

Have been thinking for some time that down rigging from a canoe made sense.

But as I don't have a down rigger at the moment I came up with the next best thing. 100 metres of cord attached to a 3lb bomb with the std off the shelf clip.

I dont have a sounder but I know Seaforth intimately so I marked the cord with five foot intervals with the liquid paper to 50 feet.

It's not pertfect but...

- it works

- saved my a few hundred bucks

Half an hour later as I past the Bluff moorings the rod goes off and I'm on. After the initial rush and panic subsided I paddled, with the rod still in the rod holder, out of the moorings into deep water before fighting the fish proper.

It went 70 cm.

Spent the next hour or so trying to replicate to no avail.

Hopefully this is the first of many for the summer seasons from the old faithful.

Off to Fiji tomorrow for time out but think I would rather be chasing Kings in Sydney.

Life to sure is tough looming recession and all......

Kingiemaster

post-3858-1224135649_thumb.jpg

love your work.

I used that system as my first downrigger on the boat. Got sick of it quick smart as i was using a 7lb bomb..

nice fish from a yack..

Bet you cant wait to get towed around by a Hood!!!!

Well done KM! Terrific effort in the canoe & very inventive way of getting the 'bomb' down! KISS works every time. :)

Enjoy Fiji - look forward to reading of your fishing exploits there!

ROberta

Thought about heading down to the spit this morning. What time did you hit the water? Thinking of doing exactly the same though if i landed a good kingy and went straight to work with the yak on the roof not quite sure of what the work colleagues would think of a big kingy sitting in the corporate fridge with all the milk.....heheheh - i dream

Well done

Wammo

Well done KM! Terrific effort in the canoe & very inventive way of getting the 'bomb' down! KISS works every time. :)

Enjoy Fiji - look forward to reading of your fishing exploits there!

ROberta