Jarvis Walker "glenelg" Split Cane Rod

Koalaboi

Hi Everyone,

Picked up a Jarvis Walker Glenelg 3 piece split cane rod this morning for $10. It's in great nick and I'm keen to fix it up: not much to do, clean up the ferrules and replace one runner.

I'm keen to find out its age, use etc.

It looks to me like a blackfish rod.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Koalaboi

• 13 years later...

Hi Koalaboi

I just googled Glenelg de luxe and your post from 2008 was second on the list. Absolute bargain at $10. It would be worth much more to the right person. 

I have heard that older cane rods were made using animal source glue which deteriorates over time, and you should be careful.

The cane version comes from the 1950s , the solid glass version is from the 1960s. 

I pulled this one out if the hard rubbish collection down the road. Cork grips reel seat and butt are in great condition. 2 piece 9 foot long, very similar to a fly rod. All guides are shot so it needs a full Reno. I've only seen one before, I gave it to Gianni as his first blackfish rod years ago. 

I'll redo this over Christmas, it won't be original, epoxy wash and underbound black and white Fuji guides, should be fun to fish with.

IMG_20211211_104516_799_compress97.thumb.jpg.b814556fd7cf7dfd27eb750f977d6e95.jpgIMG_20211211_104504_330_compress91.thumb.jpg.d2127d9a250ed98b5e2e14bfd172fb14.jpg

• Like 1