Hot Little Tailor Sesh

yakfishing

Went for a walk down to the water this morning in Nth Sydney and found huge schools of baifish, birds working the surface and big splashes coming out of the water. Doesnt take Andrew Ettingshausen to figure theres some predators in there. Ran home grabbed the rod and a metal lure matching the size of the baitfish. 1st cast - got one then dropped it. 2nd cast - another and I got it in but its undersize. 3rd cast - another and its legal by 3cm. 4th cast - another undersize. 5th cast and finally bag a decent one of around 36cm. A few more casts bar 1 at least got a hit and I could see them going at the lure on the way in. Had an audience of about 4 people who stopped work at the marina to watch. Bagged another of 36cm who let me know first hand how sharp their teeth are (mental note - use pliers next time). Pissing blood everywhere I had a last cast and got the biggest of the day at 37cm and figured id best go home and wrap up my finger. All of the fiesty buggers must have been really worked up cuz I had a look at the action of the lure when I got there and it looked like shit and I thought id be wasting my time with it. Not bad for about 25 minutes work!

post-4457-1224595723_thumb.jpg

Edited by yakfishing

Great work. About a week ago we watched a school of tailor push baitfish into the bay at Clifton until they were within casting distance. In a quick 20 min session 3 of us landed around 15 or 18 all around the 40cm mark. It was great fun while it lasted. Eventually they pushed the bait back into the harbour & out of reach again but they continued feeding along with a good flock of birds for another hour.

Paul

Thanks guys, yep lots of fun. The fingers paying for it now but it was still worth it! It didnt actually hurt at all untill the adrenaline wore off and then F*#! did it hurt. He got me pretty deep.

olitay - "wonder if its worth walking down to luna park for a flick???"

Always worth it mate :biggrin2:

Thanks guys, yep lots of fun. The fingers paying for it now but it was still worth it! It didnt actually hurt at all untill the adrenaline wore off and then F*#! did it hurt. He got me pretty deep.

olitay - "wonder if its worth walking down to luna park for a flick???"

Always worth it mate :biggrin2:

Were you on the north or south side of the Harbour Bridge?

Were you on the north or south side of the Harbour Bridge?

North east

what a nice way to spend 25 minutes, and losing a finger!!! lol,

i never go near a tailors teeth unless its only lip hooked,

This one was lip hooked! lol. He lunged forward and grabbed me. Ill be using pliers and a chainmail glove for every Tailor from now on! :1prop:

Did you see any signs of kings feeding in with the tailor?

I saw a monster something chasing in one of the bigger tailor I had hooked but only saw him real quick so I couldnt tell you definitively what it was. Could have been a huge tailor, could have been a king.

I saw a monster something chasing in one of the bigger tailor I had hooked but only saw him real quick so I couldnt tell you definitively what it was. Could have been a huge tailor, could have been a king.

Probably was a king, they have a habit of tailing tailor when hooked and quite often will eat them, then you're in for some trouble :1prop:

Top session mate! Your finger must have been pretty bad to make you leave a frenzy like that!!

I remember my first encounter with a tailor. My cousin hooked a little bait sized one off a jety in yamba when we were about 8 and he went in to give it the old rex hunt kiss on the lips good bye. It latched on to his upper lip and he was running around squealing like a pig!! haha!!

Congrats on the fish again!

Top session mate! Your finger must have been pretty bad to make you leave a frenzy like that!!

i lost a fair bit of blood before i left. its still all over my pants, shoes, rod and tacklebox. i was suprised how much was coming out and it wasnt looking like clotting any time soon and i didnt have anything to wrap it up with. still, very hard decision to leave as you can imagine.

this is what it looked like this morning

post-4457-1224744469_thumb.jpg