Handheld Gps

Guest TelcoBroker

Guest TelcoBroker

I am looking to purchase a new handheld GPS to replace the one that I inherited from Noah that just chewed thru batteries and wasn't entirely user friendly.

My initial "wants" are as follows:

* Weatherproof to rain and splashes and possibly waterproof and bouyant in case it goes in the drink.

* PC interface so I can plug it in at home to update and edit marks and waypoints such as holes and reefs.

* Long battery life or cigarette lighter power adapter - I don't have shares in Union Carbide

* Compatible with external antenna.

* Mapping for both road and water. I suppose it would be nice to have this feature upgradeable so I don't need to purchase a street directory when travelling interstate.

* Purchase price less than $600 if possible.

What are you guys using? Any tips and tricks on both good and bad features of the GPS units you guys are currently using.

forgot to add, this doesn't come with maps as such, but it has a a fair few nav markers loaded onto the maps already, however you can purchase the garmin maping software for roads and maps, or just dowload it from Limewire like I did. :biggrin2:

Hi Bashir

Have been looking at getting a GPS72, but thought that it couldnt do maps???? I thought taht the GPS76 was the first Garmin model that did maps....

If thats the case then I might have a better look. How hard/costly is it to get the software and maps?

Thanks

Adrian

Target didn't have a clue the 76 existed. I'm yet to install my maps but when I do give it a go, I'll post the results up here to see if it worked. I typed garmin in Limewire (similar to kazaa) and came up with plenty of garmin stuff.