Prawns On The Run

Luke K

[Hi Raiders,

Its been a couple of weeks since my last post so I thought I'd make this

a good one. Went out to spot X on sunday night to go prawning with a mate.

When we started the tide was just about to turn so things were a bit slow.

However, we still managed to get a few around some weed beds and some

we just sitting on the sand waiting for the tide to turn to make the great escape.

As soon as the tide turned it was as though someone had switched on a light.

It was on, one after the other. We ened up about a kilo each, no kidding.

I was only prawning for about 1hr solid until my battery gave in. :1badmood:

Anyway I hope you enjoy the pics as I enjoy the prawns.

post-8603-1225108914_thumb.jpg

I would love to throw one of them still twitching onto the edge of the shallows wherever you were fishing and wait for a big bream to hit it. Love that type of fishing.

Nice score on the prawns.

Well done LL!! I should pull my finger out & get the yak out & try around some of the island edges here at Forster! Seems the time is right just NOW!! Altho the tide won't turn here in the lake till well after 11pm!! :(

I sometimes scoop them from the town jetty, but usually only get a few, feel sorry for them, give them names & toss them back!!! I haven't caught a 'bag full' yet!

Anyone wanting sp practise on flatties & bream - toss some around at night when the prawns are running!! They should get monstered (even if you are fishing from a jetty!!) I was even tossing squidgies that had lost their tails to tailor & was still getting flatties - I guess the tail-less ones even looked like prawns???

Roberta

You've got me excited!! No sooner said than done ...... Wendy & I will hit the lake tonight in our yaks & find a nice spot, hop out & scoop the shallow! :biggrin2:

We'll just have to run the gauntlet of stinkboats out there already ...... some get there in daylight hours to 'bags their spot' but we'll probably wet a line before that (take advantage of the high tide ....)

haven't fished at night time (apart from Sun night with Tide'n'knots) for ages. Never in a yak! :)

Cheerio

Roberta

Must make sure Wendy has a night light too!

Hi PT

I don't believe they keep well at all in aerated water ..... I understand they keep better if actually placed between two 'wet' Hessian bags even with some ribbon weed over them & left on a concrete floor (eg garage.) I have tried the bucket of water with & without an aerator, but unless you actually replace the water on a regular basis, it still goes 'off' & kills them. I have put them in a container with ribbon weed & put them in the fridge before & some of them survive ..... as the cold slows their metabolism down a bit ...... I've yet to have all of them survive, unless you can suspend them overnight in the salt water in a container with biggish holes in it.

I have cast sps behind a boat that was dipping (the light was obviously making it easy for the fish to see the prawns as well) when I was landbased & got some great flatties a few years back! :) It wasn't hindering the scoopers at all, either!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Saving prawns to feed to fish!!!!

Stuff the fish!! I'd be eating the prawns myself. I reckon the ones you catch yourself are so much nicer than bought ones it makes me wonder what on earth the shops do to make them taste so ordinary.

Seriously, I do keep some for bait if I have a good catch. If I have a really good catch I use the biggest ones to make "fishermans wharf garlic prawns" the medium ones get boiled and the "rest" get used for bait if I don't change my mind and eat them as well. Live prawns ARE a brilliant bait but I resent having to give them up.

Thanks for the report. I've been wondering if the prawns were around yet.

Reeltired

Good catch there Luderick Luke. Have been meaning to get out myself and see if they were running, not that we get much locally.

Went down tonight to have a look, the wind was messing it up a bit but still got a few.

post-3151-1225194222_thumb.jpg

post-3151-1225194270_thumb.jpg

Now I just have to figure if its a prawn sandwich :drool: or fresh bait :1fishing1:

Cheers Copafisher

Well Done Copafisher,

They are some healthy looking prawns you have there.

I went out myself last night but the wind played havoc

for me too.Still got a couple of dozen though.

Prawn Sandwich or Live Bait? Great option to have ain't it

hehehe Wendy & I went out in our yaks last night & stayed away from the boats ....... we sort of scooped what they missed! Got 1kg all up (ooops, didn't take pics!) They didn't start running till midnight & only lasted 2hrs, so got to bed about 3am. Slight drizzle but nothing too bad - but raining today.

Ours were mainly small schoolies so no good for dinner ....... have bagged them up for fishing at a later date!

Roberta

i went last night to spot x on the hunt to get myself some prawns with cr@zy faridation.

we caught 122 prawns in 1 hour and a half.

they were everywhere the last half hour before we left,only reason for leaving was that it started raining,nice sizes.

Edited by Crazy John

Roberta,

Do live prawns keep if air rated overnight?

I can only image them getting mauled by monster blue nose breambo's if cast weightless into racks and jetty's come first light, evern more so than nippers do!!!!

I've had mixed success with keeping them aerated overnight and well into the next day on a trip. They can stay alive or if they go they all seem to go together. For most part the secret seems to be a cool environment with plenty of the water they came from.

Ben

I've had mixed success with keeping them aerated overnight and well into the next day on a trip. They can stay alive or if they go they all seem to go together. For most part the secret seems to be a cool environment with plenty of the water they came from.

Ben

So does anyone reckon you could keep them alive if you left them in a largish burley bucket suspended in the water over a pontoon/boat?

Josh

So does anyone reckon you could keep them alive if you left them in a largish burley bucket suspended in the water over a pontoon/boat?

Josh

Josh

I have found yellow tails will survive when I put them in a wire cage that I suspend off a pontoon overnight, but squid and slimies will die if I leave them for more than 8 hours. I think the slimies need more water movement than happens with natural tidal flow. Squid I think get "stressed" and die of fright. Just my own observation.I believe prawns will do all right in a cage/burley bucket suspended under a pontoon.

Regards Kit

I had one that didnt make it from the bucket to the freezer last night, spotted him later in the bath and put him back in the bucket to see if he would survive OK. He was still fine this morning, so I left him to go to work.

The :wife: rang me at work later to tell me to let "Henry" go, as he had turned his big eyes on her when she looked in the bucket and was begging to be let go :1crybaby: . He must have been lucky, cause I took him back tonight to tell all his friends what a good bloke I was and managed to convince some more to come home with me :risata::risata::risata:

I reckon if the water is too deep it may be a problem, I keep mine in about 2cm of water and they sit on the bottom with their heads up. I would remove the dead or nearly dead ones and possibly not aerate it. Might have to try it on the weekend if I can catch some to use live on Sunday morning.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Josh

I keep my livies alive overnight in a crab trap with sloping entrance suspended under my local wharf overnight. It's difficult to explain but the entrance allows crabs to slip in when crabbing but as a makeshift cage its works perfectly because the fish cant get out. I find the fish are just as vigarous the next morning so i would assume it would be the same for a few bait prawns in a smaller setup with smaller mesh.