Five Dock Ramp

tas130

can anyone help me out with info on the five dock boat ramp. there doesn't seem to be any mention of it in the ramp section. im coming up from tassie and would prefer if i didnt need to spend a day driving around sydney checking out ramps before getting the boat wet.

what i would like to know is

is this ramp suitable for a 22 foot boat.

is there good turning area and parking and are there parking fees

would this be the best ramp for good access to the harbour.

also where can i fuel up around the harbour and are the prices up there much more to fuel on the water or is it worth the time to put it back on the trailer and find a servo

and last of all is it possible to get a mooring around the harbour for a night.

any info would be great

thanks

can anyone help me out with info on the five dock boat ramp. there doesn't seem to be any mention of it in the ramp section. im coming up from tassie and would prefer if i didnt need to spend a day driving around sydney checking out ramps before getting the boat wet.

what i would like to know is

is this ramp suitable for a 22 foot boat.

is there good turning area and parking and are there parking fees

would this be the best ramp for good access to the harbour.

also where can i fuel up around the harbour and are the prices up there much more to fuel on the water or is it worth the time to put it back on the trailer and find a servo

and last of all is it possible to get a mooring around the harbour for a night.

any info would be great

thanks

Where are you staying - suburb and are you doing inner harbour fishing or headed offshore? There is a couple of ramps in the area you mention but 2 are shallow from memory but havent been there in the shallows for years. How deep do you need to soak your trailer as we have the luxury of some really crap short ramps.

Fuel is expensive on the harbour but avaliale at a fair few spots at marinas- expect 40c plus over servo price. Servos are pretty close to most ramps.

Marinas have overnight docks you can leave the boat at.

these may help

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/boatramp_syd.pdf

http://www.marinedirectory.com.au/launch-ramps.html

These guys run many of the marinas if you want to check facilities and overnight prices just phone them - they won't be the cheapest but will give you an idea if you are overnighting and need their facilities. plenty of nice quiet spots to sleep overnight of guest moorings or at anchor and sme restruants have facility avaliable for water access.

http://www.dalboramarinas.com.au/

Where are you staying - suburb and are you doing inner harbour fishing or headed offshore? There is a couple of ramps in the area you mention but 2 are shallow from memory but havent been there in the shallows for years. How deep do you need to soak your trailer as we have the luxury of some really crap short ramps.

Fuel is expensive on the harbour but avaliale at a fair few spots at marinas- expect 40c plus over servo price. Servos are pretty close to most ramps.

Marinas have overnight docks you can leave the boat at.

these may help

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/boatramp_syd.pdf

http://www.marinedirectory.com.au/launch-ramps.html

These guys run many of the marinas if you want to check facilities and overnight prices just phone them - they won't be the cheapest but will give you an idea if you are overnighting and need their facilities. plenty of nice quiet spots to sleep overnight of guest moorings or at anchor and sme restruants have facility avaliable for water access.

http://www.dalboramarinas.com.au/

thanks pelican. i am staying around the hornsby area and am planing on puting in at brooklyn most of the time im up there but would like to take the kids out on the harbour while we have the chance. as for how deep i need i cant say as im coming up to pick up the boat and had others do the inspections for me so this will be the first time i will be putting the trailer in myself so deeper the beter.

are there many empty moorings we could just "borrow" for the night :biggrin2:

Five Dock ramp has no pontoons, VERY busy, not enough car spots on the weekend after 530AM and just a pain in the ass to use.....

Try Bayview ramp at the end of Burwood rd. Alot better but only open after 6am.

Another is Kissing Point ramp in Putney.

You have to time your launch and retieves between the ferry wash and forget bottom of the tide but other wise great facilities.

Place to stay overnight without paying for it, sneek into Lane Cove. Beautiful and quiet with no boat traffic. If you stay on the Parramatta river you will get wash at all hours threw the night from passing boats.

From Hornsby, the closest to get to would be Roseville. Best ramp out of all harbour ramps. Launched mine there at low tide yesterday, heaps of car spots and only 20mins from hornsby.

Middle harbour has beautiful clear water and good fishing, finding a spare mooring should be fine if you don't leave it to late in the day.....

Good luck.

Greg

From Hornsby the closest is probably Davidson reserve at Roseville / Frenchs Forrest 30 minutes off peak which is a $7 entry fee for National Parks has heaps of parking , sheltered , no wash, floating pontoon and big turning area and has a good slope. Tunks park ( another 10 minutes down the road) is next and it is free but a tighter ramp with less parking but a short walk never killed anyone!! Both these ramps give access to Middle harbour spit bridge and then the main harbour. Middle harbour is a great protected spot to get to know a new boat. A half hour cruise as there is 4 knot zones to the main harbour and a further half hour to the Bridge etc. 22 foot unless there is a swell or big winds and it is a seaworthy boat should be no issues. Opposite Davidson reserve ramp is the Echo Point marina that also has fuel and berths avaliable if you wanted to leave the boat in unattended. Call them for a price.

Always moorings in the harbour midweek as there is visitors overnight moorings in some of the more secluded bays and popular spots for overnighting / day use. maritime map shows them. As for picking up private moorings I'd rather rely on my own anchor for an overnight as you don't know when it was last serviced etc and owners can get very posesive.

There is a marina at Darling harbour also if the family wanted easy access to the city etc.

Bit hard to safely give to many suggestions as don't know what boat of if you are a novice or experienced skipper with a family into boating.

Other good thing about Hornsby is you aen't far away from site sponser if you need anything on boat or trailer looked at!!

Edited by pelican

thanks for the info guys.

i might give roseville a go as thats just 2 mins down the road from the outlaws. i just wasnt sure how far that was from the harbour. or what the acess was like. i did actually live in sydney years ago and from memory cant you only get down there from one direction (frenches forest end?)

as for the experiance part ive been fishing and diving around tassie off boats for a few years now so i know i'll be alright but the people that will be with me dont have much so things like a jetty or pontoon would be good as i will most likly be loading and unloading the boat by myself.

i sure hope the boat is seaworthy :biggrin2: its a 2110 bayliner. as for the fuel i shouldnt need to fill up on the water as i have a 190L tank but just in case i get the urge to spend more time out than first planed its good to know.

cheers

justin