"beaked Whale"

warnie

Hi all

I have no doubts in saying that at some stage of proceedings in your time spent fishing out on the water that you would have witnessed whales at their time of migration in either putting on a show with their antics of breaching or with their gracious movements through the water.

When fishing at South West Rocks last Christmas once again to be greeted to the spectacle of this event only this time the whales looking quite different. Coming across a pod of approx 20-30 whales including mothers and their calves and with their mood decidingly protective some of the whales (and I presume to be the males) would breach with deliberation in an attempt in warning off any approaching boat, you can notice quite clearly in the bottom picture the difference I am referring to as this species of whale are known as “Beaked whales “ These pictures as taken by Stephen Pitchfork from aboard his boat” Out There” And shows a fine example of display by this relativity uncommon species of whale.

Here is a bit of information i found pertaining to 1 of the 20 or so species of “beaked whale”

Description

Tasmacetus shepherdi is a rare animal, known from only 21 strandings in the southern hemisphere. Adults are between 6 and 7 m long and have a full set of functional teeth, as opposed to all other beaked whale species. Colouring is dark grey dorsally with a white ventral field extending towards the back on both anterior and posterior sides of the flippers (Mead, 2002

Population size

Nothing is known about the relative abundance of this species or its population composition. It is suspected, based on the lack of identified sightings, that all ziphiids except Berardius and Hyperoodon, have relatively small populations. This could also be due to their having naturally cryptic habits (Mead, 1989).

Biology and Behaviour

Habitat. Probably lives mainly far offshore, well away from coasts; however, where there is a narrow continental shelf, Tasmacetus shepherdi may sometimes occur in deep water close to shore (Carwardine, 1995).

Behaviour: Very little is known of the natural history of this species. All of the confirmed records are at least partially decomposed strandings. There are only 2 possible sighting records (Jefferson et al. 1993).

Food. They are known to feed on several species of fish, possibly near the bottom in deep waters (Jefferson et al. 1993). This fish diet is reflected by a fully functional set of teeth as opposed to the other ziphiids which mainly live on squid (Carwardine, 1995).

Can anybody else add any further info in regards to this whale

Cheers Warnie

post-4679-1225451024_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...