Blue Mountains

Gid

Hi guys, I have a question here, maybe anyone can give me advise.I am thinking to have some backpacking trip by train from Sydney to the Blue Mountains in coming weekends.So I am wondering is it possible to get from closest train station to some river which contains trouts and to have a camping close to this river.Or my way of this trip is stupid?

Thanks a lot if somebody will answer :Funny-Post:

Gid

Hi Gid, unfortunately most if not all of the rivers and lakes in the mountains area are a long way from any railway stations. The only trout lake even remotely close to a railway is Wentworth Falls lake which has reasonable numbers of good size browns and is a short level 10 minute walk from the station. Send me a pm when your thinking of heading up this way and I will try to meet up for a fish. cheers troutboy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gid, unfortunately most if not all of the rivers and lakes in the mountains area are a long way from any railway stations. The only trout lake even remotely close to a railway is Wentworth Falls lake which has reasonable numbers of good size browns and is a short level 10 minute walk from the station. Send me a pm when your thinking of heading up this way and I will try to meet up for a fish. cheers troutboy

I need an advise, do I must to have waders to wade in these trout lakes, or wet wading is more better?

gday Gid, at this time of year its possible to wet wade but the water is still rather cool. I would suggest using some breathable chest waders if you are planning on spending time in the water. Most of the lakes and rivers have good casting areas from the bank so unless you have to wade to reach the fish you may be better off sticking to the bank/ shore. Any ideas on when you are heading up this way? Which lakes are you planning to fish? cheers troutboy

Gid,

Do you know where to fish in the Mountains?.

Most of the good places are up around Oberon, and like others said- away from public transport.

Have you done any research into which creeks/rivers/dams, and what it is like at the moment and the summer?. Conditions up there change very quickly, and water levels vary.

Have you thought of joining a fly fishing club- that would give you lots of info, plus maybe a ride up there?.

I went up to around Oberon 2 years ago for 3 days when I had come back to Australia on holidays, and went with an old friend of the family who has fished there for 40 years. The conditions had changed in the 3 years he had not fished there, water levels were bad etc, we didn't catch much. Unfortunately the best spots up there are a well guarded secret!.

I will try and find out some info and places for you and PM you, just give me a day or two.

Cheers,

Matt

Gid,

Do you know where to fish in the Mountains?.

Most of the good places are up around Oberon, and like others said- away from public transport.

Have you done any research into which creeks/rivers/dams, and what it is like at the moment and the summer?. Conditions up there change very quickly, and water levels vary.

Have you thought of joining a fly fishing club- that would give you lots of info, plus maybe a ride up there?.

I went up to around Oberon 2 years ago for 3 days when I had come back to Australia on holidays, and went with an old friend of the family who has fished there for 40 years. The conditions had changed in the 3 years he had not fished there, water levels were bad etc, we didn't catch much. Unfortunately the best spots up there are a well guarded secret!.

I will try and find out some info and places for you and PM you, just give me a day or two.

Cheers,

Matt

On coming weekend I am going to do Six foot track which goes from Katoomba to Jenolan Caves and crosses Coxs river and also Little river, so maybe I will try my luck in those ones.Also in Christmas I am going to visit Wollondilly river.I just asked about dams because in the near future I would like to fish in some of them too.

Cheers,

Gid

Edited by Gid

gday Gid, at this time of year its possible to wet wade but the water is still rather cool. I would suggest using some breathable chest waders if you are planning on spending time in the water. Most of the lakes and rivers have good casting areas from the bank so unless you have to wade to reach the fish you may be better off sticking to the bank/ shore. Any ideas on when you are heading up this way? Which lakes are you planning to fish? cheers troutboy

hi trout how do you fish for them fly, lure, bait i would be interested in learning if your available sometime

Came back from my Six foot track, and not a lot of fishing had :) because of bad weather, and too much hours spent on walking.So I had few trout attemts in Coxs river, and thats it.Also lost my photo camera somewhere in Katoomba, and find out that just at home after the trip. So today I came from Sydney back to Katoomba and tried to find it, but its immposible :05: So I stopped at Wentworth Falls to try my luck in the lake, but something maybe I've done wrong.Saw few fishes rising.But my flies seems that doesnt work.

Gid

Edited by Gid