Hopeless At King Fishing

Danielsan

Hi All,

I have done 39 trips out for not a single King - hence I need some serious help...

I'll give you an example of a typical day out then you might be abel to tell me what i'm doing wrong!

1) Early/mid morning start - 4-9am typically - bait collection. Squid (if I can get), yakka, slimey.

2) Head to markers/MHarbour downrig until bait dies.

3) Downrig mid harb at around 35-40ft and DR the markers at varying depths until bait gets stolen or dies.

4) Get frustrated, go home with no fuel and no fish.

5) Repeat steps 1-4 ad nauseum.

Is there any one who can perhaps provide me some more specific instruction? fishing baits at anchor, floating livies in Mid harb?

PLease please please!

Hi All,

I have done 39 trips out for not a single King - hence I need some serious help...

I'll give you an example of a typical day out then you might be abel to tell me what i'm doing wrong!

1) Early/mid morning start - 4-9am typically - bait collection. Squid (if I can get), yakka, slimey.

2) Head to markers/MHarbour downrig until bait dies.

3) Downrig mid harb at around 35-40ft and DR the markers at varying depths until bait gets stolen or dies.

4) Get frustrated, go home with no fuel and no fish.

5) Repeat steps 1-4 ad nauseum.

Is there any one who can perhaps provide me some more specific instruction? fishing baits at anchor, floating livies in Mid harb?

PLease please please!

Hi.

You got a boat. You got enthusiasm. Learn to read your sounder. Fish the tides. Join a local fishing club. and get to know a few people.

It'll come.

See Ya

Macka17

The best advice i can give you is dont start downrigging until you have caught squid......yakkas and slimeys are no where near as good and are a easy way out.....keep trying for squid until you have a few and then start downrigging......

Edited by netic

thanks guys - appreciate the advice.

last year - before I got the DR - i pretty much got a bunch of squid every time i went out. now that I got the rigger, it seems that I've been struggling. I managed 2 bite sized squid yesterday, and they got stolen off without the hook up.

I must be the unluckiest King angler of all time.

can you tell me what tides are the best for:

1) wedding cakes - and general markers

2) spit east

3) north head

I understand if you don't want to reveal too much!

Edited by Danielsan

Daniel you must be one of the unluckiest guys alive to not get a kingy with that much persistence.

Definitely get your squid early. Then look for some birds working the surface as this can often indicate fish feeding aggresively with them being Kingfish a lot of the time particularly this time of year and the next few months. In this case throw 6 inch sluggos at the edge of the schools or a metal slice or if they are not staying on the surface long troll some rapala cd-9s or xraps around the areas they have been feeding.

Research some harbour and middle harbour wrecks as these are favourite haunts of kingies and fishing them on the early stage of the outgoing tide can prove very successful and enjoyable.

As said it can pay off to go out on a charter, i've been on quite a lot in the harbour as i'm good mates with who i think is the best in the harbour with kingies and jewies.

Wait a little bit longer until the rats move into the harbour well and truly and if you keep doing what you have been + what other people have told you then you can't fail.

Good Luck,

Josh

'As said it can pay off to go out on a charter, i've been on quite a lot in the harbour as i'm good mates with who i think is the best in the harbour with kingies and jewies.'

You must be talking about netics ... have you seen his 'fishy pics' :1prop:

Im with that dude, Im in the process of hunting some my self as I have not hooked one yet. Persistance is the key

Edited by STUCATZ

HI There Just dont downrigg at all, I find I have most succsess just chucking a livey out and changing the livey every 30-40 depending on how it is swimming and looking

37 trips and no kingies is a disaster Check the tides, I normally catch mine about 1 hour before High tide and 1 hour after high tide, No idea why its just what has worked for me also spend a bit longer mix it up and ye just dont downrig :) I know alot of people will probably comment on my comment as alot of people love the downrigging technique

thanks to all who have replied!

It seems that there are a few different views on the best method/technique to employ.

i think that fishing the tide - 1hr before/after the high and sitting in a location where i've hooked them, is the best way to go.

when it comes to the DR'ing i think i might go back to basics before i start to try to fish like the pro's!

once again guys thanks a heap!

Dan

Mate in regards to the tide, They can be caught at any tide, i too once believed that the best time was 1 hour before and one hour after but experience has taught me otherwise, Kings can be caught on any tide, any weather any day of the year......its just a matter of getting your fresh bait and going to the regurlar kingy haunts, We have about 15 kingy spots for the harbour that we check every trip, we have never come back empty handed as always one of these haunts has had kings on them.

Just persist with the squid as squid will make the difference between cathing 1 king or 20 kings in a trip....

As the weather warms up and if you still havent got kingy i will take you out on my boat and get you one.

Sounds like luck isn't on your side mate. once you get one the flood gates will open.

keep your chin up -

ps. i've noticed if you're on yakkas, keep them fresh as the kingys like a lot of movement to fire up. old yakkas tend to go limp & they turn off.

pss. and keep away from Pittwater, will take you 20 yrs to get one with your run of luck!!

Anyone tried Pittwater lately??. I gave it a run about a week ago & the sounder is either broken/pittwater is dead.

Hi mate

as said above you need squid and lots of them

kings can be a pain in the ....... to catch sometimes

stick with it and id take netics generous offer and grab a ride

if he cant get you on you must be cursed :1prop:

cheers

miller

Sounds like luck isn't on your side mate. once you get one the flood gates will open.

keep your chin up -

ps. i've noticed if you're on yakkas, keep them fresh as the kingys like a lot of movement to fire up. old yakkas tend to go limp & they turn off.

pss. and keep away from Pittwater, will take you 20 yrs to get one with your run of luck!!

Anyone tried Pittwater lately??. I gave it a run about a week ago & the sounder is either broken/pittwater is dead.

hey mate your sounder must be broken because Pitty is not dead at all! haha the average fish ive been gettin lately are around the 80cm mark.

Jack

Find the squid then find the kings. Use your sounder to sound out the markers, wrecks, dropoffs etc. If you find balled up bait then usually the kings aren't far behind. Concentrate your downrigging time around the bait balls and you will have success. Downrigging is a slow process and therefore no point in dragging your hard earned baits where the fish aren't!!

Kingy Kid - i agree with you mate - Pittwater is not dead and no rats among them either (yet) but keep it quiet :1prop:

Hmmmmm 37 trips that is a veryyyyy long time between fish!!!! Vary your spots its only a matter of huntin down the bait then off you got, About 37 trips ago for us it would have been June or July and we had 22 hookups with 13 landed when everyone was struggling!!!!!!!

Keep Persisting

Dan