Fishing Hotspots, Clovelly, Gordons Bay, Coogee, Naroubra And La Parouse

austfox

Hi There

I must admit, i am not the biggest fisherman but i really do enjoy my time when i go. I have decided it's time for me to escalate my interest in this great sport and find that hobby I have been craving for the past few years.

I and a friend are planning on fishing next weekend and we wondered if anyone could tell us of any good spots in Sydney’s eastern Beaches and bays?

I have heard that La Perouse is very good, if so could someone be a little specific on exactly where?

Also, i live right next to Gordon’s Bay and wondered where the best spot is around GB, Coogee, Clovelly, Maroubra area's? Are their other parts of Botany that are worth fishing?

Anyway, thanks in advance for all your answers

Regards

Ben

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the site.

Back in the uni days when I was at UNSW I always had a rod in the car.

Any break I had I would drive down to clovelly and fish.

There are 2 spots at Clovelly that have produced fish for me.

On the car park side, next to Gordon's bay, walk to the cliff face and cast in.

The other spot is on the headland on the other side of the pool.

Clovelly can only be fished on a low tide, as I've found on the high, the waves make it too dangerous.

Back then I used pretty heavy gear, 10ft surf rods with 15-20lb line and the same for trace.

A large bean sinker to hold bottom (use bean sinkers as ball tends to roll around in the current), 2/0 - 3/0 hooks and baits were squid, prawns, gar, crabs and cunje.

Over the years i have caught big Bream, Parrot fish, eel, plenty of red rock cod, and plenty of port jackon sharks..... once I nearly got spooled by something unstoppable before it rubbed the line on the rocks and I lost it.

I've also seen people catch leatherjacket, trevally, blackfish and salmon.

my biggest catch there was a Port jackson shark that measured 1.14m and weighed 17 kg, I caught it on half a garfish and it took 10mins to land.

Try it and let us know how you go..

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the site.

There are 2 spots at Clovelly that have produced fish for me.

On the car park side, next to Gordon's bay, walk to the cliff face and cast in.

The other spot is on the headland on the other side of the pool.

Clovelly can only be fished on a low tide, as I've found on the high, the waves make it too dangerous.

Back then I used pretty heavy gear, 10ft surf rods with 15-20lb line and the same for trace.

A large bean sinker to hold bottom (use bean sinkers as ball tends to roll around in the current), 2/0 - 3/0 hooks and baits were squid, prawns, gar, crabs and cunje.

Over the years i have caught big Bream, Parrot fish, eel, plenty of red rock cod, and plenty of port jackon sharks..... once I nearly got spooled by something unstoppable before it rubbed the line on the rocks and I lost it.

I've also seen people catch leatherjacket, trevally, blackfish and salmon.

my biggest catch there was a Port jackson shark that measured 1.14m and weighed 17 kg, I caught it on half a garfish and it took 10mins to land.

Try it and let us know how you go..

Chris

Hey Chris

Im not sure if this is the right way to reply to your post but here we go.

We ended up starting in south Coogee between the Surf club and the ladies pool. Right next to the surf club is a length of rocks that were very flat and although the waves would hit pretty hard it was not that dangerous.

As i mentioned this was my first fishing trip for many years and the first two hours i was snagging and loosing my bait, mainly due to myself having to refresh what i had learnt when i was young. The from around 4pm we we're getting bites all afternoon. This was mainly due to the high tide coming but we changed from Prawns to squid as bait which really worked. We only managed to land 2 fish (Rod Cock and Flathead). They we're both nice fish but most importantly gave us that fishing buzz again…!!!

We then went to Clovelly to have a look around there and there was a chap fishing off the cliffs at the Gordon’s bay side. I think this is the spot you mention in your post. He had a good day and said he was pulling them out since 4pm too. We then went towards the bottom of GB on the rocks at the side where most people sun bake in the afternoon. We got there around 6.30pm so it was pretty quiet. Again, we did well catching a rock cod each and we only fished there for around 30 mins.

All in all it was pretty good. I’d love to get a Port Jackson though, I may a look around near Clovelly pool as you suggested this week.

Mate, thanks for the tips I appreciate it. I hope my sharing my spot in South Coogee with you I have repaid you a little for the good advice. Give it a go, we did ok in Coogee.

Speak soon

Ben

no worries Ben.

the cliff face next to gordon's bay is right infront of the carpark.

but fish towards the right side of the carpark, closest to GB

be careful on the headland on the other side of the pool as its slippery there.

Chris

no worries Ben.

the cliff face next to gordon's bay is right infront of the carpark.

but fish towards the right side of the carpark, closest to GB

be careful on the headland on the other side of the pool as its slippery there.

Chris

Yep that's the spot this chap was at, i know exactly where you mean.

What the best bait and line to use when fishing for Port Jacksons?

Also, any good spots in La Parouse or Malabar?

Ben

Cheers

Yep that's the spot this chap was at, i know exactly where you mean.

What the best bait and line to use when fishing for Port Jacksons?

Also, any good spots in La Parouse or Malabar?

Ben

Cheers

port jacksons eat anything.

u just need a nice big bait and have it sitting on the bottom.

they just cruise along the bottom eating stuff.... they are sort of like sting rays really. They even fight like sting rays!

You can catch them all through the harbour too.

I've caught them to 10kg in the harbour on butterflied yellowtail intended for Jew.

I don't know too much about La Perouse but have fished and seen plenty of fishermen fishing the rocks at Bare Island. I'm not sure on the legality of collecting them, but there are plenty of Cunje on the rocks at Bare Island, and they make great bait all along there.

port jacksons eat anything.

u just need a nice big bait and have it sitting on the bottom.

they just cruise along the bottom eating stuff.... they are sort of like sting rays really. They even fight like sting rays!

You can catch them all through the harbour too.

I've caught them to 10kg in the harbour on butterflied yellowtail intended for Jew.

I don't know too much about La Perouse but have fished and seen plenty of fishermen fishing the rocks at Bare Island. I'm not sure on the legality of collecting them, but there are plenty of Cunje on the rocks at Bare Island, and they make great bait all along there.

Thanks mate.

I'll update you next week if anything worhwhile is caught.

Enjoy the weekend..

Ben

• 4 months later...

Thanks mate.

I'll update you next week if anything worhwhile is caught.

Enjoy the weekend..

Ben

I've just moved into the Clovelly area and glad that I heard of these tips. I might have a cast or two in the bay itself for some Whiting or Bream. I'd appreciate any other tips that you have as well. Thanks heaps.

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the site.

Hey Kit, same with me! I used to head down to Clovelly and Gordons Bay to fish when I was in uni too!

Never caught much but just spending the time down there by the sea is good enough for me.

I havent been back there for a good 3-4 years but I used to go out on the rocks at Gordons Bay (right hand side when facing the sea) and cast into the surf. You can score a few rock cods and breams around there.

Be careful not to be traumatised by the sometimes nude sun bakers there!

Archived