Baitrunner Reels - What Is It?

fibbo

Hi guys!

What is a baitrunner reel and does anyone use them?

All I know is that they can cast far and have a free-spool setting.

I'm into beach fishing would these reels be suitable?

cheers,

fibbo.

Edited by fibbo

Mate most companies make baitrunner reels but in most cases when you hear people talking of them, they are referring to the Shimano Baitrunnner series as they are probably the best.

As you said they have the feature of being a threadline that can go into free-spool and the tension of the free spool can be adjusted just like a normal drag can.

What this does is enables the fish to pick up a bait and not feel much resistance at all in which case it'll probably start to scream off with it, this is when you pick up your rod wind the handle quickly and strike so that you set the hook in the fish and by winding the handle engage your normal drag setting.

I don't fish beaches much so i can't really say but i suppose you could use it, it may run a little bit in the waves, not really sure though.

Josh

as josh88 said above, the Shimano bait runner reels are great. You can set the reel after casting into baitrunner mode by flicking a lever. Basically, the spool is in free spool mode, so much a fish attacks the bait, it can do without feeling any resistance. The fish often runs with the bait, and it is a matter of striking with your rod, and winding the reel handle to set the reel back into drag mode. These are the only reels that I use when landbased, and I also use one on the boat. I love the reels.

As stated already they are a good allround reel with the Shimano baitrunner being the most popular...

They are a medium priced reel use by alot of anglers......They were one of my first reels which i did use for beach fishing but since then i have upgraded to better reels.

Thanks guys!

I asked on behalf of my dad who is a fishing nut (more so than I).

After reading your posts he just purchased a Shimano big baitrunner since he likes to be prepared for that elusive jewfish if it ever happens to strike lol!

He's got two shimano stradics as well and treats them like his children!