New Impeller?

Stanfo

Hi raiders

bought a little 4 hp johnson seahorse for 50 bucks on the weekend. I brought it home and started it in a bucket, Went first pull but didn't seem to have any cooling water running through it and the only way to get water to flow through it was to force the hose into the water intake(while the motor was stopped), is the impeller shot? or is there any other possibility?

Hi Stanfo, only way to know for sure mate is to remove the gearbox and inspect the impeller and water pump. Good practice anyway and preventative maintance. While you are doing this drain and refill gearbox and with the gearbox off blow up the water tube and make sure the powerhead water passages are free and not blocked with salt. Being a small engine the passages are quiet small and can get blocked, also the grommet on top of the water tube can swell with salt build-up and also cause problems.

What year model is it and does it seem to have been looked after in terms of flushing?

Cheers,

Huey.

What year model is it and does it seem to have been looked after in terms of flushing?

not sure about the year the model no is 4BRS79D and the guy I bought it off says it was his fathers and doesn't know much about it. I changed the gear box oil, spark plugs and cleaned it up. Will post a pic.

post-6668-1225785464_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stanfo

Hi, that is a 1979 model and removing the gearbox allows you to get to the impeller and replace. Good little engines and they just go and go. Much better, smoother running than a 4HP of today due to being a twin cylinder design and the ones today only single cylinder.

Impeller part number is 763735, but remove and inspect first to make sure the impeller cup and housing are OK.

Cheers,

Huey.