Uh Oh!

slinkymalinky

I have a small problem that I hope doesn't become a big problem. I attached some rod holders to the aluminium railings on my Quintrex and riveted them to the railing for added security. Stupidly, I only had 1 aluminium rivet left of the correct size so one got riveted with a stainless rivet, coated with zinc corrosion inhibitor.

The stainless rivet has snapped, leaving part of the rivet inside the tubular railing. How bad a problem is it?

Is the potential for electrolysis inside the railing worth cutting it off so that a bit of stainless doesn't eat thru the deck and drop into the hull, causing more serious problems?? Any other thoughts?

Cheers, Slinky

Forget it - go fishing. Very little surface area and already coated in duralac so unlikely to cause a problem

Not even going to ask how you shear a rivit off but you must have had a marlin on the line or a child using it as a monkey bar.

Some manufacturers actually used to have a 10mm hole drilled near the ends of their railings compresser air jet in one end and out it comes ( depends where the holes are if any).. Get a spare rivot an a magnet and confirm it isn't magnetic. Some are stainless rivots but have steel mandrils and that would concern me a little more but it is in an area that has little moisture.

Edited by pelican

I

The stainless rivet has snapped, leaving part of the rivet inside the tubular railing. How bad a problem is it?

Is the potential for electrolysis inside the railing worth cutting it off so that a bit of stainless doesn't eat thru the deck and drop into the hull, causing more serious problems?? Any other thoughts?

Cheers, Slinky

Same as Slinky says - depending on what material the mandrel is would only be a minor concern

The further two metals are apart on the galvanic series chart, the greater the potential current that can pass between them.

Here's the link

http://www.corrosionsource.com/handbook/galv_series.htm