Penrith Gorge

glennmreid

Took the boat out with the new motor today to the Nepean at Penrith. I really haven't fished much fresh water before. Have been to a few fresh water dams, but my fresh water fishing is pretty limited. Another thing which I haven't done much before is lure fishing.

Trolled around and not much happened. Threw out some spinnerbaits, and the same result, nothing. Thought I would try out my Smith Bisen cicado surface popper. Then the action happened. I lost 4 fish, and caught 4 bass. One of the fish I lost was my own fault. I hooked a good fish when bringing the lure in, but wasn't paying too much attention as I got distracted by a girl wearing a bikini getting a ride on a jetski. The lure got smashed when I was distracted. Must have been a tatic from the bass :074: The bass that I landed were only small, but a first for me. Never caught wild bass before, and I have never fished the gorge before. I was pretty happy considering that I am a novice, when it comes to freshwater fishing, and a novice with lures. Can't believe that size of the lures the small bass attack.

A great day out. Really enjoyed myself. Have to give the :wife: a few lessons in boat driving, had some close calls at times with rocks with her skills. Probably punishment for me losing that good bass when I was simply observing jetski's :074:

post-3324-1225958485_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1225958495_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1225958505_thumb.jpg

:yahoo::yahoo: Great stuff Glenn. A new style of fishing, chasing a new species ... and a brand new motor to play with! :thumbup: How did it go? Any bass (regardless of size) would have been a bonus, and you managed a few! Well done. You will become more proficient and productive now that you have landed a couple. Terrific report mate ... keep 'em comin'

Cheers

Hodgey

motor went great. Should've posted some pics of my distraction, damn. Have to next time. :074: Very beautiful spot the gorge. The only real thing that annoyed me was the water skiers. There is a 4 knot zone through the narrows, which is bascially a narrow channel sounded by submerged rocks. The water skiers were ploughing through that atleast 15-20 knots. This was a common occurence. The area needs to be policed by maritime.

Well done on your first venture into the gorge & catching a few wild bass,im sure the fishing will improve as

the weather warms up & you should also get amongst some better size fish as you learn what lures work &

the better spots to target the bass.Think ive got the same problem as you when there are girls in bikini's

hangin around my fishing spots,the concentration seems to waver a bit.

Good report too!!

cheers

Steve

Edited by nexus

Great read mate... shame you didn't have photos of all the scenery from the day. Might be worth doing some trips flicking soft plastics off the sand at Bondi so you can condition yourself not to get distracted so easily :074:

First fish, best of, new locations, first using a new tactic... they all make fishing a heap of fun. Good on you for your first Bass. :thumbup:

Cheers, Slinky

Great read mate... shame you didn't have photos of all the scenery from the day. Might be worth doing some trips flicking soft plastics off the sand at Bondi so you can condition yourself not to get distracted so easily :074:

First fish, best of, new locations, first using a new tactic... they all make fishing a heap of fun. Good on you for your first Bass. :thumbup:

Cheers, Slinky

Might just have to give that bondi thing a try :074: Not too many distractions there :074: