Harbour 9/11/08

doug43

This weekend I thought I might experiment with some lures and techniques I’ve not used before the first being some sand flat luring with worm plastics and after seeing all the raiders reports on shallow water poppering and reading various magazine articles on the subject I decided I’d give that a go as well

These are styles of fishing I’ve never tried before but I could definitely see the appeal so after heading down the tackle shop for some gulp sand worms and a couple of lucky craft poppers I was on the water and off to the nearest sand flat.

First off I tried the worms out in some water about a metre deep. I spend alot of time jigging plastics so I thought I'd start the day with a method I knew a little better. The first takers of the worms were a couple of lively flatties which were very agro in such shallow water and after a few more casts a nice little trev got in on the action. I was really pleased with getting a few straight away and was really surprised at the hookup ability of the worm considering they are 5 inches long and the jig head less than an inch from the front.

post-7411-1226224875_thumb.jpg

Having caught some fish on plastics I then tied on one of the little poppers and moved up into some really shallow areas. I began casting about and retrieving in the way I’ve read about. It took awhile to get the walk the dog retrieve to work but once I had it I began to get some interest from the fish straight away. I now see why people are so keen on poppering the flats because seeing the fish following and harassing that little popper was fantastic! It took about five missed strikes before I hooked my first fish and after a short tussle I landed a nice little bream followed by a little whiting and some smaller bream.

post-7411-1226224912_thumb.jpg

post-7411-1226224946_thumb.jpg post-7411-1226224973_thumb.jpg

It was great to try new methods and have some success.

Alot of what I have read has come from Hodgey's and other raiders reports so thanks for the top info and keep up the great work everyone.

Edited by doug43

Great report Doug :yahoo:

It's a buzz reading reports from Raiders who are trying something new,and are successfu! I get a kick out of outfoxing those finicky bream, particularly when you watch them stalk your lure, creating a bow-wave as they power in to smack it :biggrin2:

The good news Doug? The surface lure season has just started! :yahoo: Great photos and a terrific read mate. Looking forward to many more in the coming months :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey