Squid

greg123

You can also try watsons bay left of the marina warf there. In addition, you can hit the kelps at middle head.

Hey squidboy,

I'm landbased and i've just invested in some good quality squid jigs. I live nearby and was hoping you could clarify which side of middle head the kelp is on? Thanks for the spots. I'll give balmoral a go too.

You will need a boat to fish for squid well. Generally I catch a couple and keep on the move. That way you do not wipe out the whole school and your sure that in a few months time there should more squiddlys which are babies around in that spot.

Balmoral is good early in the morning in the kelpts nice and deep. Orange seems to work well, but I can't answer why round there. You generally have to keep on the move till you find them.

Well in that case I might have to wait till I get a boat to become a pro at squidding, but the tips are still much appreciated. Thanks Squidboy! It just so happened one of the new jigs is orange. :biggrin2: So i'll give it a crack. could I be so bold as to ask another question. How deep is the kelp off the wharf at balmoral, I want to let it sink for 20? 30 seconds? before a slow retrieve.

Again thanks for the tips.

palm beach has heaps.

wherabouts? jigged for about an hour over the weedbeds on the pittwater side opposite the sand (between barrenjoey headland and the houses) in amongst all the ribbon weed; didnt even see one being followed

could have been one of those days for squid but was surprised as there was no wind or anything

Well in that case I might have to wait till I get a boat to become a pro at squidding, but the tips are still much appreciated. Thanks Squidboy! It just so happened one of the new jigs is orange. :biggrin2: So i'll give it a crack. could I be so bold as to ask another question. How deep is the kelp off the wharf at balmoral, I want to let it sink for 20? 30 seconds? before a slow retrieve.

Again thanks for the tips.

Mate, you watch your jig. Different jig sink at differnt rates, so you have to do your homework. Just a tip, heavy leader for beginning so you dont loose it.

Yea i agree with squidboy on the heavier line when starting out ( i currently use 10lb braid with 15lb flouro leader as im still learning), because if your not getting your squid jig snagged in the kelp every so often then your not in the strike zone.

and it really sucks when you snag a $30 squid jig on your first cast and your only using 4lb line ... hehe

two places, first is my fav.its the southern end of the beach with the rock pool. just next too it theres bunch of rocks (not dangerous at all, apart from maybe getting your feet wet if your unlucky). you can jig (bigger ones do best as these calamaris are as big as your forarm). or you can float a yellowtail with the squid jig hooks and you will definitely get a big one :). i tend to do both, leave one floating and jig as well. most of the time i get double hookups :).

good idea with float is when you can see the pull, throw a jig near it and your guarenteed a second squid :)