Lake Conjola - Artificial Reef Approved

brendong

I'm yet to be convinced that artificial reefs are good, bad or indifferent.....largely because I've never fished them before.....never the less Lake Conjola is receiving one per the article below....so I guess I should be thanking all you raiders who have bought licences over the past 10 years or so....I'll must say, I'm yet to have a really red hot session in the past 15 years I've been heading down there, so I assume it can only be a good thing.

Lake Conjola artificial reef

7/11/2008 10:03:00 AM

AN artificial reef is set to be put in place at Lake Conjola in what is expected to be a boost for recreational anglers.

NSW Primary Industries Minister Ian Macdonald announced this week Lake Conjola had been chosen for the fourth artificial reef in NSW, and the second in the Shoalhaven behind St Georges Basin.

He said the reefs were part of a five-year fisheries enhancement program funded by the Recreational Fishing Trust and managed by the NSW Department of Primary Industries.

“The reef will create valuable habitat for a variety of fish species in this popular recreational fishing spot,” Mr Macdonald said.

“NSW DPI deploys artificial reefs in areas that are lacking in reef habitat. The reefs provide a place for fish to live and shelter, and potentially redirect fishing effort from more traditional fishing areas.

“Previous DPI studies have shown that artificial reefs attract a large variety of popular recreational fish species such as flathead, bream, tarwhine, snapper, leatherjacket and whiting.

“We are expecting similar results at Lake Conjola.”

The Lake Conjola reef will be made up of 400 concrete modules known as reef balls, which can be moved, or removed, if necessary.

“This is the first NSW DPI artificial reef that will use three different sized reef balls which is expected to create a reef of increased complexity,” Mr Macdonald said.

“Reef balls are made using a special mix of concrete that allows algae to grow quickly, creating ideal marine habitat for fish and invertebrates.

“This project has received strong support from Shoalhaven City Council.

“DPI has also worked closely with community groups, researchers, fishing clubs and other regulatory bodies to ensure the reef is in the ideal location to maximise its effectiveness,” Mr Macdonald said.

Edited by Poddy Trapper