Pex Spectra Braid

Chewy

Hi All - just looking round ebay - and noticed this PEX spectra braid floating around....

I have two needs for braid - 8-10 pound on my light stick, and say 80 pound on my heavy (which i normally fill will 40pound mono).

Anyone used , heard of this PEX spectra selling on ebay?

Its funny that the PEX 10 pound has a diameter of .15 - I have checked that firreline has a .2 diam.

Pex = $45 for 500m - fireline -$90 for 300....

So question is: Am I being penny wise pound foolish... or should I give the thinner , better vale pex a go?

Chewy

My advise, DO NOT cheap out! it will end up costing more, because you will soon realise just how shit it is, throw it out, then pay again for the real stuff. I bought cheap line once, wasnt braid, just a spool of 6ib fluro, used it once and am now cursing the name surecatch for eternity. NEVER EVER AGAIN!!! Not worth potentially loosing a nice fish, not to mention all the bloody wind knots youll get with that crap.

G'day Chewy,

When you add up how much you spend to get a chance at a fish... rod, reel, petrol, lures or bait, terminals, time, travel, etc. it would be a shame to lose fish or spoil your fishing fun to save $50 on line. Go with a reputable brand... it will be more reliable, stronger, more consistent, finer, smoother, better casting, more manageable, easier to tie knots in...

Like with everything, get the best you can afford. If you don't want to spend too much, you'd be better off just buying a 125m spool of good quality line and using it as a top shot on top of some decent mono. A better option than 200-300m of 2nd rate braid.

Cheers, Slinky

• 8 months later...

G'day Chewy,

I bought some pex braid from blah blah poop it was 500mt of 50lb and I paid $12.50 + $9.90 for postage and I had the same concerns you did. BUT, after using it I have went back and more. It's a tad less supple but nothing to worry about, knot strength, line strength, casting and joining line to it is all good. I have always used fireline and fusion but now I also use pex. Long live pex..(and no I'm not an agent)

Good luck and remember crow bars will never float.

G'day Chewy,

I bought some Pex braid because i'd had it up to pussy's bow with the jackets decimating my Fireline everytime we encountered them.

I can only vouch for it's bottom bashing capabilities, but i have found it to be a very cost effective alternative .

Cheers,

Bruce :beersmile: