Flush Fitting Lowrance X510c Sounder

rodf

Howdy,

Just purchased this unit and realised I needed to buy a flush mount kit to fit it in my dash.

The kit costs $90!!

Rob at Navico said a lot of people sikaflex the unit into the dash, but it would be difficult to take it out if I needed to remove the unit.

Does anybody out there have any brilliant ideas for flush mounting a sounder.....without having to spend the $90 that is!!

Any helpful ideas appreciated.

Rod

Howdy,

Just purchased this unit and realised I needed to buy a flush mount kit to fit it in my dash.

The kit costs $90!!

Rob at Navico said a lot of people sikaflex the unit into the dash, but it would be difficult to take it out if I needed to remove the unit.

Does anybody out there have any brilliant ideas for flush mounting a sounder.....without having to spend the $90 that is!!

Any helpful ideas appreciated.

Rod

Rod

I've made a mount up using poly cutting board. If you go to the $2 shop the cheap ones are only 4-5mm thick and are fairly easy to cut and shape. You can sometimes get different colours too. Have a think...might work for you.

Cheers

Chris

Unless you already have the hole in the dash flush mounting can make it really hard to see the screen due to reflection. You end up also buying a hood for the unit and then craneing your neck to see the thing. The viewing angle of screens have got loads better and brighter but unless your dash has the hole and is the right angle it can make them a pain to use. When you upgrade there is no standard sizing between brands mounts and no doubt teh next models will have inch screens.

I love the clean look of flush mounts but just about every boat I've been in they are a compromise as to where you can view them from. Be different if the in dash mount actually tilied or swiveled 20 degrees. Do they do a surface moyunt as opposed to the standard bracket? Does a aftermarket ram brand mount work?

The kit is literally a closed cell foam gasket ( $2 a m at hardware) and a couple of bent brackets and 2 wingnuts.

Hate to say it but if a Ram mount isn't suitable and unless you have a couple of hours and the patience to bend up some stainless strap as silly as $90 seems it won't cause a possible warranty issue later if you happen to use too longer screw in the mount.

Pel

Thanks Pelican and Chrisg, I appreciate your feedback.

Yes, the hole is already in the dash - I'm upgrading from a flush mounted X52, so I understand exactly what you mean Pelican!

The X52 is readable from the driving position, but you're right, I have to bend my head down slightly to view the screen....it's not too bad though.

Unfortunately, I have no other position to install the unit - I cannot top mount the unit because the angle of the windscreen fouls the unit, so I'm resigned to flush mounting I reckon.

Chrisg, would mind expanding on your idea a little further for me - it sounds promising.... how would I fix the poly cutting board to the back on the 510 - double sided tape??

Rod

Yes, the hole is already in the dash - I'm upgrading from a flush mounted X52, so I understand exactly what you mean Pelican!

The X52 is readable from the driving position, but you're right, I have to bend my head down slightly to view the screen....it's not too bad though.

Unfortunately, I have no other position to install the unit - I cannot top mount the unit because the angle of the windscreen fouls the unit, so I'm resigned to flush mounting I reckon.

Chrisg, would mind expanding on your idea a little further for me - it sounds promising.... how would I fix the poly cutting board to the back on the 510 - double sided tape??

Rod

Hi Rod,

Most of the units rely on a gasket which is glued on both sides. You can easily substitute this with double sided tape. I know for fact that it is extremely strong.

Cheers

Mitch

Rod

Hey Rod

Are there any existing screw holes in the back of the unit you could use? Not too familiar with the 510 but Furuno's have a set of screw holes to use with the flush mount kit.

If not you could consider mounting with a ring of self sticky velcro...then you could easily remove if you had to and you would get some vibration protection too.

Bit tricky to go further without knowing the back of the unit and the hole etc etc.

Hope it helps a bit.

Chris

Thanks again for your tips fellas.

I used double sided tape, with a couple of cable ties for added strength/security and she fits perfectly.

The new color screen is sensational, so much brighter (and bigger) than the X52.

Can't wait to get out on the water now.

Rod

G'Day Rodf,

Have you had a chance to use the new unit yet? We got an el cheapo navman unit with the boat and I already looking at getting the 510c. How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking? (pm me if you like).

Unfortunately it is hard to justify to :wife: why we need a "better" unit!

Rob