Sustain Vs Stradic

Josh88

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows much about this reel. I haven't seen it before and it looks pretty nice and am considering buying it. Physically it looks a bit like the fireblood but doubt its as good internally.

post-6719-1226802703_thumb.jpg

Features - waterproof aluminium frame, waterproof drag system, double anodised spool, arc/propulsion system, one piece bail, power roller, super stopper 2 and a free spare spool. 7+1 bearings.

Price=$300

Cheers

Josh

Edited by Josh88

I'm looking at getting a reel in probably 2000 or 2500 size, i'm more weighing up between either getting a stradic or taking a step up and getting this but i'm not sure if its going to be worth paying an extra $110 when the stradic is still a good reel. I'll mainly be targeting bream+ flatties with lures on 4-6lb line. The twin power has sizes 1000, 2500 then up to 4000. The 1000 holds 140yds or 4lb so that should be adequate.

If i was to compare it with reels in the same price range i'd probably be looking at the TD Sol:

post-6719-1226831378_thumb.jpg

New series real four concept spinning reel. Featuring Air Ball, Silent cross wrap oscillation , inifite AR, Digi GearII Drive system, Hyper Tournament waterproof drag, Machined aluminium handle, six ball bearings, ABS spool, Washable construction and micro precision click adjustable drag. Plus spare spool.

Price=$265

or a TD Advantage

post-6719-1226831448_thumb.jpg

Features - real four concept, aluminium body and sideplate, braid friendly airbail, silent cross wrap oscillation, infinate anti reverse, digigear II drive system, hyper tournament waterproof drag, machined aluminium handle, 6 stainless steel ball bearings inc. 2 CRBB bearings, twistbuster II, ABS aluminium spool with titanium nitride ring, washable construction, micro precision click adjustable drag, spare spool.

Price=$270

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers

Josh

Edited by Josh88

HI JOSH

I have a 2000 & 2500 SOL and I am very pleased with them both . The 2000 size one I have been using

2/3 times a week flicking plastics for over 1 yr now and the reel feels as tight as new. For the money they

are good value.

Regards BOB

the twin power is a nice reel. i have a stradic 1000 myself and ive seen it pull in johnno's 66cm flathead without a drama when he owned it. 3kg of drag is quite a lot for those sort of fish in shallow water. the two big differences between the stradic and twin power is the two bearings and the line wrapping. twin power has a better wrap. but in deeper water id prob go the 2500 just to be safe in case something a little bigger has a dig at your lure or plastic. thats my two bob and its not gospel and it is your choice. the daiwa's are a slight bit bigger compared to shimano in size if you compare them side by side also.which ever you choose you shouldn't be disappointed either sol'advantage.twinpower or stradic

Hi Josh,

I own in the 2500 size reels shimano sustains, twinpowers and we have recently bought a daiwa kix recommended by the local tackle dealer which has 9kg of drag.

Most weekends we go spinning for queenies and trevally etc all three reel types are comfortable to cast with and have smooth drags.

You will be happy with any of the top end Daiwa or Shimano reels.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The only thing that puts me off with the Daiwa's in the 4.7:1 gear ratio-its ok but i find i can't pick up the slack fast enough when throwing lures at pelagics-thats whats leaning me towards shimano.

Any other responses are appreciated.

Cheers

Josh

I have a stradic 1000 with 6lb braid on a raider rod and i have pull kings,salmon,tevally,bream flatties on it no problems. i love it its my fav. I also have a mitchell avocet 500. with 1kg pretest on a dropshot rod and thats great for bream and flatties. even landed a 1.1kg friget mackeral on it. I like the 1000 size in the stradic cause its light and you can cast it all day long.

Cheers Benny.

I have a stradic 1000 with 6lb braid on a raider rod and i have pull kings,salmon,tevally,bream flatties on it no problems. i love it its my fav. I also have a mitchell avocet 500. with 1kg pretest on a dropshot rod and thats great for bream and flatties. even landed a 1.1kg friget mackeral on it. I like the 1000 size in the stradic cause its light and you can cast it all day long.

Cheers Benny.

i have never really been happy with my stradic 1000 i tend to prefer my 2500/.....or even my tiera 2500 at times.

looks like the TD sols are a bit of a hit round here......was thinking that it could be my next reel and after seeing a few happy customers on here i think it will be:P.

Just had a chat to the bloke who owns the tackle shop i'm going to buy from. He reckons the Sustain is a good reel to get at $318, i think i'm willing to pay that, would've got a certate or fireblood from japan if the dollar was good but i think i might settle on this.

Next is the rods, i think i'll get a Starlo Stix Tournament, maybe a t-curve.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Josh

Edit: Actually am in a bit of a dilemna, i can either get a Stradic and a really good rod like a t-curve 2009 or a sustain and a starlo stix tournament.

Not sure if its better to have a better rod or reel???

Then dno which braid to get, 4 or 6lb and the brand, was thinking Daiwa but its $60 for 150m, so maybe FINS, Suffix or Stren Microfuse?

Any Ideas

Edited by Josh88

Just had a chat to the bloke who owns the tackle shop i'm going to buy from. He reckons the Sustain is a good reel to get at $318, i think i'm willing to pay that, would've got a certate or fireblood from japan if the dollar was good but i think i might settle on this.

Next is the rods, i think i'll get a Starlo Stix Tournament, maybe a t-curve.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Josh

Edit: Actually am in a bit of a dilemna, i can either get a Stradic and a really good rod like a t-curve 2009 or a sustain and a starlo stix tournament.

Not sure if its better to have a better rod or reel???

Then dno which braid to get, 4 or 6lb and the brand, was thinking Daiwa but its $60 for 150m, so maybe FINS, Suffix or Stren Microfuse?

Any Ideas

Hey Josh I bought the starlo T stick recently i wasnt happy and took it back

its the fore grips and reel seat are abit dodgey, i'd go with the new rack raider 2

mexican fire or the new T-curves also the new sustains 2500 have shrunk a

little in size and abit lighter too i have the older sustains 1000 and 4000 japan

models both great reels though the 1000 cops the odd wind knot here and there

but all good..

But i've always queried the difference between the sol and TD advantage

their stats look identical but different colour reels which is better?

Cheers

Rizzo :biggrin2: