In Your Own Backyard

boating

Hi Guys haven't put a report in for awhile so I thought I would share this one with you. Went down to Tathra at the beginning of the month for a week hoping to get some fishing in :1fishing1: but the weather was a shocker if it wasn't raining it was blowing a gale :1badmood: , so we only got to get the boat wet once :05: although we did get to do some good whale watching. On our arrival back home to the Riverina we were greeted with a high river so not wasting any time we sunk the tinny into the river and tried our luck. On our first day we caught nothing but Murry Cod which of cause all went back and it is nice to see our river alive with cod again, we would have caught up to 20 of all different sizes. We hit the river the next day deciding to put a full day in with a B.B.Q lunch and drinks on the banks of the river and with a change of luck bagging out on Golden Perch or better known as yellowbelly it sure made our day :thumbup: .Cheers Cindy.

post-4090-1226821489_thumb.jpg

post-4090-1226821589_thumb.jpg

post-4090-1226821748_thumb.jpg

post-4090-1226821886_thumb.jpg

post-4090-1226821969_thumb.jpg

post-4090-1226822069_thumb.jpg

great catch. well done :thumbup: what are yellowbelly like to eat? never eaten freshwater fish before.

Glen yellowbelly are good to eat at the right times, at the moment they are on the run so they are nice and lean and there flesh is clean, sometime if you catch them in dams they can be abit fatty and have a muddy taste to them. If you get a chance you should give freshwater fish a try you will be quite pleased.

Cheers Cindy.

Good to hear the river is coming back , I used to spend a lot of time in Hay , and watched the river levels dropping year by year.

Hope you have a good summers fishing out there ( would you really go fishing in 45 degree + weather ? )

Ross

Hi Ross the river levels are still not good here, most of the time you can walk across the river in places it is a matter of looking for the deep holes to catch a fish. It is only high at the moment as they are doing inviromental flows, I will take some pics when the river is at its normal level and send them to you it will have your head shaking. And yes I would go fishing in extrem hot weather as I love the summer and there is always a tall cool redgum to seek some shade from.

Cheers Cindy.

Hi Ross the river levels are still not good here, most of the time you can walk across the river in places it is a matter of looking for the deep holes to catch a fish. It is only high at the moment as they are doing inviromental flows, I will take some pics when the river is at its normal level and send them to you it will have your head shaking. And yes I would go fishing in extrem hot weather as I love the summer and there is always a tall cool redgum to seek some shade from.

Cheers Cindy.

sounds like a great place to fish Cindy.

GREAT catch. and good to see that the river is comming alive again .. I grew up in Hay and had a bloke at Maude.. I must get back there some day soon :beersmile:

I know that area pretty well and most of the folks out there, who was your mate.

Cheers Cindy.

A very encouraging report Cindy. :thumbup: Traditionally, November is a great time for grassing a few yellas. My brother has been cleaning up using shrimp in the Murray around Kerang and Toke. I hope a few of them put in an appearance in Mulwala when I am down there for the Cod Classic next month :thumbup:

Totally agree with your taste comment as well. :biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

A very encouraging report Cindy. :thumbup: Traditionally, November is a great time for grassing a few yellas. My brother has been cleaning up using shrimp in the Murray around Kerang and Toke. I hope a few of them put in an appearance in Mulwala when I am down there for the Cod Classic next month :thumbup:

Totally agree with your taste comment as well. :biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

Thanks Hodgey, and yes I have been lucky with the shrimp and also the flesh off the yabbie tail I did also try worms but they wern't such a good hit on the menu, although some of my friends have been using scrub worms with success.

Cheers Cindy.

if im not misstaken thats a classic trailer behind you?????????.

Hi if you are referring to the slid on camper behind the boat it is a custom built camper which slids onto the back of our ute and then becomes free standing when set up similar to the Carry Me Campers made by the Candy's this way no matter where we go we can take our resting place and most of all the boat.

Cheers Cindy.