Help With Pc Settings

Geoff

I thought I would see if there are any XP experts in Fishraider that can help me with a problem prior to removing all the cables & taking the box to the local PC store.

The problem. I've managed to change one of the settings & now have now sound comming from tne speakers , be that music from the CD player or even that system noise "dinging" you get when entering or leaving certin programs.

In essence cannot locate the screen I've changed.

There are 3 sockets on the back of the PC for sound , red , grey & blue. I think it is the setting on the blue connection I have stuffed up but cannot be certin.

There is some background info on how this all came about but won't bore you with it unless needed to fix the problem.

Tks

Geoff

Possibly the mute button

Look bottom right in the ici=ons and see if you v=have a speaker with a line through it?

If you do just double left click on it or possibly right click and it will turn back on of a window will open with options on it. Just untick the mute box.

If you don't have the icon go - start- control panel -sounds and audio devices and you will find a check box there . Make sure it is unchecked

Could be othe rhings but that is a big chance as it can be turned on and off easily accidentily with the f buttons at top of the keyboard

Soundcard connections are typically Pink (MIC) Green and Black (Speakers).

I am not sure what the problem is , are you , or are you not getting sound (from whatever source) through your speakers ?

If no , as suggested , double click on the grey loudspeaker icon at the bottom right hand side of your screen. (Near the clock). This opens up the Audio panel. The only box that should be ticked is the MIC box. Adjust the volume sliders until you get sound. This includes the MASTER Volume , WAVE , CD Audio and Line In .

Ross

Tks all for your responses. Perhaps I should mention , this occured early in the week & have been looking around the system inc Help information to try & find access to the problem.

Dave In all the screens I've come across where there is a Mute option these have not been ticked.

On the weekend I down loaded some software which was supposed to allow me to record LP records onto CD. It did not work. Communicated with theif Help Desk & there response was,

To record from equipment connected to the blue colored Line-In input on your computer, you typically have to select the Line-In source in the Recorder

Terrificate , only problem , where is this function & what ever I changed only caused the current problem.

I should mention , prior to me playing with the system there was no problem with the sound. The problem occured a few days after the the SW down load .

Pelican Could be other things but that is a big chance as it can be turned on and off easily accidentily with the f buttons at top of the keyboard

Perhaps , but which one , any suggestions

Ross. In the system my jacks are marked Pink , Mic in. Blue , Line in. Green , Line out

The only box that should be ticked is the MIC box. Adjust the volume sliders until you get sound. This includes the MASTER Volume , WAVE , CD Audio and Line In .

The mic box was ticked & all the volume controls are set at the maxium.

I looked into the "options " , The box "Adjust volume for" is set at playback.

Below is "show the following volume controls" The following are ticked

Vol Cont.

Wave

SW Synth

CD player

Line in

I had a little play around with these settings , nothing changed so changed them back as listed above

Tks again , any further suggestions apreicated

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

From the sounds of things, looks like there's either a setting in your sound card drivers that have changed. To help you out do you know what sound card you have?

If you're not sure "Right Click" on "My Computer" click on "Properties" then click on "Hardware" then click on "Device Manager" and check to see what you have in "Sound Video and Game Controllers"

If you can find out I may be able to point you in the right direction or point to a place where you can perhaps download the latest driver (this may set your driver settings to default settings which will likely fix your problem)

Feel free to PM me, if you want to take this offline for help

You could try one of these 2 options :

1) Re install sound card drivers ( or download the latest versions from the net ).

2) Do a system restore to a date PRIOR to you installing the software.

Does this program have settings that you can adjust? Maybe you need to allocate a sound device for it to work?

As I understand it , you would connect your turntable through a Pre Amplifier to put the analogue sound onto your Hard Drive. You would then need to digitize it into either a WAV or MP3 format so that it could burnt onto a CD. Im not sure you can record direct "Disc to Disc " , as they are in 2 different formats .

Here is a short tutorial I found on how to do this : Sound Tuturial

Ross

If you're not sure "Right Click" on "My Computer" click on "Properties" then click on "Hardware" then click on "Device Manager" and check to see what you have in "Sound Video and Game Controllers"

Feel free to PM me, if you want to take this offline for help

Followed your instructions , expected to see a brand & perhaps a version No.. Under SV & GC it listed 8 sub sections beginning with Audio Codes then Legacy Audio Drives , finishining with Video Codes.

Had a quick look but could not find any specific information.

Tks for the PM offer , it may come in handy.

Ross tks for your suggestions. There are a number of processes to go through which I will need to defer to next week.

Heading off to Pt Stephens this morning so will be off the air until Monday AM.

Have a good one guy's , catch you next week hopefully along with a decent fish report

Geoff