Which Landing Net ?

arkedup

Hi everyone

I have got to get a new landing net and I was thinking of getting one of the enviro friendly nets with the small holes,not cause I am a greeny but because I catch blue swimmers aswell as fish and crab legs and nippers always get caught in the landing nets with large holes making it a slow and sometimes painful process to remove them

Does anyone use these new enviro friendly style nets ?if so do they have any pitfalls? ie. are they slow to drain the water out making them heavy and awkward to pick up

Are they as good as the old style landing nets for fishing?

thanks

Arked

Hi everyone

I have got to get a new landing net and I was thinking of getting one of the enviro friendly nets with the small holes,not cause I am a greeny but because I catch blue swimmers aswell as fish and crab legs and nippers always get caught in the landing nets with large holes making it a slow and sometimes painful process to remove them

Does anyone use these new enviro friendly style nets ?if so do they have any pitfalls? ie. are they slow to drain the water out making them heavy and awkward to pick up

Are they as good as the old style landing nets for fishing?

thanks

Arked

I have a net which is same as 'Enviro net' good net but bloody heavy and awkward with one hand when fishing alone,maybe try the rubber net's.

i have to agree with ross on this..

i used one of them enviro jobbies one trip on a mates boat and it was bloody hard yakka with too much drag in water...

with crabs i have found you usually have to chase the buggers with the net half the time so in this situation environets will be cumbersome to use but once netted the ease of getting them out would be good...

if you wanted to protect the fish for release then it would be best option net wise...

i will be upgrading my net soon and wont be getting one of them but am looking for a good one with best tangle free netting,one i saw was about $80 but strong and sturdy.. bit too much coin for a net so im still looking...

will be interested on what you get and how it performs...

hope this helps... cheers...steve......

We've got an environet and find it quite good.

It has some drag but its not like you should be dunking the whole net through the water. You only need to angle it down so the front is submerged and then the fish can easily get into it and it is still reasonably manouverable.

I tend to go on the basis that you bring the fish to the net unless it is riskily hooked and you just want to get it safe.

Water drains out fine but it can be bad with squid ink, although a lot of the time it just tends to sit in the net in a clump and you can just wash it out.

Cheers

Josh

Thanks for the tips and comments guys, I am now thinking I should get another old style landing net for fishing and I will work on one with finer netting specially for crabs

We are only allowed to catch them on a handline in Brisbane Waters and its best to fully submerge the net because once they get to the surface they jump off most of the time

thanks

Arked

We've got an environet and find it quite good.

It has some drag but its not like you should be dunking the whole net through the water. You only need to angle it down so the front is submerged and then the fish can easily get into it and it is still reasonably manouverable.

I tend to go on the basis that you bring the fish to the net unless it is riskily hooked and you just want to get it safe.

Water drains out fine but it can be bad with squid ink, although a lot of the time it just tends to sit in the net in a clump and you can just wash it out.

Cheers

Josh

swimming the fish to net is always best option and as long as you have played them out proper is all good....

except those damn kingies that play dead then get their second wind :1badmood: ....

as Arked said crabs tend to let go of the bait so ive found nets needed to be swooped etc to get em....

Arked in my travels ive checked a few out and found that theres some nets that have the thicker cord netting that look like they would be better with hooks and crab legs etc than the thinner style that tend to tangle...

well thats my thoughts anyways.....

cheers...steve....