How To Prepare Sushimi

RPL

Not sure how clear this will be without pics but here goes....

You need to skin the fillets first then debone them by removing any rib bones and the pin bones (the ones that run along the middle line of the fillet). The best way to remove the pin bones is to split each fillet lengthways cutting out the bones as you go.

There will probably be a 'blood line' along the thick edge of each half fillet... cut this out although you don't have to be meticulous... it just spoils the presentation and can have a strong flavour.

You should be left with 2 long thin slabs of clean white flesh from each original fillet. These can be sliced into slices about 3mm thick across the slab (across the grain of the flesh) leaving you with beautiful bite sized morsels.

I did some sashimi kingfish on the water last summer with some pics

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...c=28500&hl=

hope they help.

Cheers, Slinky

Not sure how clear this will be without pics but here goes....

You need to skin the fillets first then debone them by removing any rib bones and the pin bones (the ones that run along the middle line of the fillet). The best way to remove the pin bones is to split each fillet lengthways cutting out the bones as you go.

There will probably be a 'blood line' along the thick edge of each half fillet... cut this out although you don't have to be meticulous... it just spoils the presentation and can have a strong flavour.

You should be left with 2 long thin slabs of clean white flesh from each original fillet. These can be sliced into slices about 3mm thick across the slab (across the grain of the flesh) leaving you with beautiful bite sized morsels.

I did some sashimi kingfish on the water last summer with some pics

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...c=28500&hl=

hope they help.

Cheers, Slinky

Great post, ill look into doing that this evening.thanks alot.

Yes i was never too sure.

I thought that you were only supposed to use the belly of the fish but there is never enough there in the same thickness you get it in restaurants-that would explain it. Thanks Slinky