Choosing The Best Days To Fish

jewgaffer

Hi Everyone.

Rather than doing a lengthy reply post to some questions asked recently by Tide'n'knots, I have decided to do a new topic for everyone to read and decide for themselves if the information is going to be of help to them in the future.

The questions asked would relate to wind changes, wind direction on the day, and lead to the benefit of being able to chose the best day conditions wise or better still be out on the water during the approximate times of the expected change.

It's handy to own a barometer as the first signs of a significant conditions change should show up in a Barometric Pressure fluctuation in either direction.

Any change has to be considered to be a good change, whereas dramatic changes or direct opposites such as cold windy southerlys changing to moderate warm northerlys would naturally be the better day to chose. If your fishing days are restricted, chose the most dramatic change day that suits and if possible try and be out there fishing during the very last of ongoing weather and the initial part of the change, whether it be a change to good weather or the early stages of a change to bad weather.

Weather changes, temperature changes, wind direction changes, liven up fish movement and stimulate general activity. Fish binge feed more often at the onset of a change to allow for ongoing conditions after which their feeding peters off. During normal times most species only feed spasmodically. A change in conditions triggers fish to feed to stock up on food to allow for times of shutdown particularly during a low pressure front.

In the case of jewfish any change makes them active and particularly during a change after rain and during the initial onset of a storm or a blowy southerly change which is a good time to fish for general species and feeding activity by other fish brings jewfish around.

Jewfish become active at the start of a change and especially a southerly change when the general bite suddenly livens up and then stops. A southerly change or any other wind change is generally acturately forecast except for the power of the gusts and, if a southerly is expected to be blowy, notice is given.

Weather changes nevertheless go hand in hand with barometric pressure and sudden fluctuations often bring about a change in the atmosphere which you can actually feel in the outside air and moreso at night.

A good change in the atmosphere (a good change in the Barometric Pressure) is one which is going to give you the urge to go outside the house regardless of season. Some intuitive fishermen will go down to the beach and in some cases others will feel the need to take the boat out.

Whether a change makes the weather cold or warm, or wet or dry, the hours during the change and shortly after are condusive to chosing the day/s to get the best results,

Briefly on wind changes. A wind changes in any direction changes the status quo, and is in itself a conditions change and the bite will liven up, particularly at the onset.

As to wind direction on the day. If not getting any bites in the open sections and the boat was turned side on in the breeze, I would either fish close in to the shore in the exact direction of the turn, or if the immediate area was not suitable on looks, I would up anchor and let the boat just drift along having a couple of baits out just for the excercise.

Before dropping anchor on the downwind side just outside where the boat would have met the shore, I would try the opposite side or the "wrongun"side first, I.E. the upwind side and have a few casts to dismiss the possibility that there are fish on that side, particularly jewfish as when fishing for jewfish you have to almost cover everything, and it can be a long wait waiting for the jewfish to find you. Having been satisfied, I would move and persevere around suitable areas where the flow would have taken the boat. It's more or less the same as finding the right land based spot such as a corner where the tide and breeze are not running away from you.

As to chosing the best day/s to fish the Hawkesbury for example, the Gosford weather forecast below provides a good example of ongoing shutdown periods and also of the desirable periods, the contrasting change periods. You'll find the barometer needle will act accordingly as conditions change and the bite livens up at that point of time or a tide or two after depending on the severity of an ongoing low front for instance.

Notice how the weather comes out of a windy southerly front on Tuesday - that's the type of change I would be looking for.The northerly aspect makes Tuesday a good day to have a fish, albeit the unusually cool weather will still be ongoing as far as fishing the one spot or day long activity is concerned.

Thursday would be a good target day, given the sudden temperature rise to 28 and the wind change to a light NNE easterly and the day after rain which is forecast for Wednesday. Wednesday's north easterly gusts would probably be around 30-40 stirring up the water nicely for Thursday. Also notice the temperature rise to 28 degrees on Thursday, making it the warmest day of the week and bringing the season back, and the change in conditions probably with early showers to boot would bring fish on the bite.

Friday maintains the warmth and gives a change back to ESE which suits jewfish in the early stages and when you look below at Saturday's forecast, fishing Friday pm would be fishing "the calm before the storm" when the general bite becomes very active before the pending shut down in the near 40kph south easterly winds and heavy rain forecast for Saturday amid a massive temperature drop to a cold 18 degrees maximum.

This weeks weather - GOSFORD.

Wind Rain Humid Min Max

SUN A Few Showers. Mostly Cloudy. Mild. Windy. 38 km/h

SW 2mm

(37%) 63% 11 18

MON Mostly Sunny. Mild. Breezy. 35 km/h

SW - 63% 14 24

TUE Light Rain Early. Afternoon Clouds. Mild. 18 km/h

NE 1mm

(33%) 74% 15 22

WED Rain Showers. Mostly Cloudy. Mild. 23 km/h

NE 7mm

(72%) 82% 17 22

THU Afternoon Clouds. Warm. 4 km/h

NNE - 47% 18 28

FRI Numerous Showers. Afternoon Clouds. Warm. 19 km/h

ESE 9mm

(77%) 83% 18 25

SAT Heavy Rain. Cloudy. Mild. Windy. 39 km/h

SSE 13mm

(99%) 83% 15 18

The forecast source is generally reliable for all areas and it would be helpful to have a good think about change days giving better fishing results than days that have ongoing conditions that are much the same whether they be good weather days or bad weather days.

I hope this helps Pete aka Tide'n'knots, and others who may be interested in finding the best times to fish by testing out days where there will be a change of conditions happening and settling in on that day.

I hope you all catch plenty of fish targetting the change days :thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Great post Byron. :thumbup:

Just hoping the weather and conditions are favourable to us when we're staying at Cottage Point.

Does anyone know a reliable site that has weather predictions for up to 2-3weeks away?

Cheers

Josh

Edited by Josh88

Hi Everyone.

Rather than doing a lengthy reply post to some questions asked recently by Tide'n'knots, I have decided to do a new topic for everyone to read and decide for themselves if the information is going to be of help to them in the future.

The questions asked would relate to wind changes, wind direction on the day, and lead to the benefit of being able to chose the best day conditions wise or better still be out on the water during the approximate times of the expected change.

It's handy to own a barometer as the first signs of a significant conditions change should show up in a Barometric Pressure fluctuation in either direction.

Any change has to be considered to be a good change, whereas dramatic changes or direct opposites such as cold windy southerlys changing to moderate warm northerlys would naturally be the better day to chose. If your fishing days are restricted, chose the most dramatic change day that suits and if possible try and be out there fishing during the very last of ongoing weather and the initial part of the change, whether it be a change to good weather or the early stages of a change to bad weather.

Weather changes, temperature changes, wind direction changes, liven up fish movement and stimulate general activity. Fish binge feed more often at the onset of a change to allow for ongoing conditions after which their feeding peters off. During normal times most species only feed spasmodically. A change in conditions triggers fish to feed to stock up on food to allow for times of shutdown particularly during a low pressure front.

In the case of jewfish any change makes them active and particularly during a change after rain and during the initial onset of a storm or a blowy southerly change which is a good time to fish for general species and feeding activity by other fish brings jewfish around.

Jewfish become active at the start of a change and especially a southerly change when the general bite suddenly livens up and then stops. A southerly change or any other wind change is generally acturately forecast except for the power of the gusts and, if a southerly is expected to be blowy, notice is given.

Weather changes nevertheless go hand in hand with barometric pressure and sudden fluctuations often bring about a change in the atmosphere which you can actually feel in the outside air and moreso at night.

A good change in the atmosphere (a good change in the Barometric Pressure) is one which is going to give you the urge to go outside the house regardless of season. Some intuitive fishermen will go down to the beach and in some cases others will feel the need to take the boat out.

Whether a change makes the weather cold or warm, or wet or dry, the hours during the change and shortly after are condusive to chosing the day/s to get the best results,

Briefly on wind changes. A wind changes in any direction changes the status quo, and is in itself a conditions change and the bite will liven up, particularly at the onset.

As to wind direction on the day. If not getting any bites in the open sections and the boat was turned side on in the breeze, I would either fish close in to the shore in the exact direction of the turn, or if the immediate area was not suitable on looks, I would up anchor and let the boat just drift along having a couple of baits out just for the excercise.

Before dropping anchor on the downwind side just outside where the boat would have met the shore, I would try the opposite side or the "wrongun"side first, I.E. the upwind side and have a few casts to dismiss the possibility that there are fish on that side, particularly jewfish as when fishing for jewfish you have to almost cover everything, and it can be a long wait waiting for the jewfish to find you. Having been satisfied, I would move and persevere around suitable areas where the flow would have taken the boat. It's more or less the same as finding the right land based spot such as a corner where the tide and breeze are not running away from you.

As to chosing the best day/s to fish the Hawkesbury for example, the Gosford weather forecast below provides a good example of ongoing shutdown periods and also of the desirable periods, the contrasting change periods. You'll find the barometer needle will act accordingly as conditions change and the bite livens up at that point of time or a tide or two after depending on the severity of an ongoing low front for instance.

Notice how the weather comes out of a windy southerly front on Tuesday - that's the type of change I would be looking for.The northerly aspect makes Tuesday a good day to have a fish, albeit the unusually cool weather will still be ongoing as far as fishing the one spot or day long activity is concerned.

Thursday would be a good target day, given the sudden temperature rise to 28 and the wind change to a light NNE easterly and the day after rain which is forecast for Wednesday. Wednesday's north easterly gusts would probably be around 30-40 stirring up the water nicely for Thursday. Also notice the temperature rise to 28 degrees on Thursday, making it the warmest day of the week and bringing the season back, and the change in conditions probably with early showers to boot would bring fish on the bite.

Friday maintains the warmth and gives a change back to ESE which suits jewfish in the early stages and when you look below at Saturday's forecast, fishing Friday pm would be fishing "the calm before the storm" when the general bite becomes very active before the pending shut down in the near 40kph south easterly winds and heavy rain forecast for Saturday amid a massive temperature drop to a cold 18 degrees maximum.

This weeks weather - GOSFORD.

Wind Rain Humid Min Max

SUN A Few Showers. Mostly Cloudy. Mild. Windy. 38 km/h

SW 2mm

(37%) 63% 11 18

MON Mostly Sunny. Mild. Breezy. 35 km/h

SW - 63% 14 24

TUE Light Rain Early. Afternoon Clouds. Mild. 18 km/h

NE 1mm

(33%) 74% 15 22

WED Rain Showers. Mostly Cloudy. Mild. 23 km/h

NE 7mm

(72%) 82% 17 22

THU Afternoon Clouds. Warm. 4 km/h

NNE - 47% 18 28

FRI Numerous Showers. Afternoon Clouds. Warm. 19 km/h

ESE 9mm

(77%) 83% 18 25

SAT Heavy Rain. Cloudy. Mild. Windy. 39 km/h

SSE 13mm

(99%) 83% 15 18

The forecast source is generally reliable for all areas and it would be helpful to have a good think about change days giving better fishing results than days that have ongoing conditions that are much the same whether they be good weather days or bad weather days.

I hope this helps Pete aka Tide'n'knots, and others who may be interested in finding the best times to fish by testing out days where there will be a change of conditions happening and settling in on that day.

I hope you all catch plenty of fish targetting the change days :thumbup:

Cheers

Mr Jewgaffer

Thank you for sharing a little of your knowledge. It is rare to find a fisherman so generous to share what must be many years of experience. I am following Roberta's advice and trying to follow your previous posting. Please if you have time keep them coming. I am on a mission to catch one of these jews in the Port and am learning som much, not just about the jews but also by products.

Thank you again sir.

Mr Jewgaffer

.........I am on a mission to catch one of these jews in the Port and am learning som much, not just about the jews but also by products.

.........Thank you again sir.

Hi Quaddy Port Hacking can be nature's best kept secret for jewfish or nature's biggest dudder depending on what's happening at Wanda which is the best known performing area of water between the mouth of Port Hacking and the mouth of Botany Bay. Unlike other coastal rivers where jewfish schools travel up river, the Hacking is cut short by Audley Weir.

So you have to fish the Hacking like you would fish the mouth of any river and think top of the tide and run out tide fishing during night hours.

In saying that I've found that they don't always go back out with the run out tide in the currentless deepwater bays and I've had good results right on the bottom and during the run tide in Gunnamatta Bay and Burraneer Bay. Whereas along the stretch in the main river between the mouth of Burraneer Bay (Shiprock) and Lily Pilli and the early parts of South West Arm near the ranger's cottage fishes best on the top and the early run out and again only during night hours.

As to the bi catch there is 60 foot of water in Burraneer not far from the marina and over 80 feet near the centre rows of the moored boats in Gunnamatta Bay and you would be surprised how well nippers work in those depths at times. A good bi catch from the bottom up and table size snapper near the top might just happen to be there waiting for your nippers in eighty feet of water :D I.E times when there's not much activity in the spots you would normally fish for bream, whiting or flathead.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Hi Byron,

Mate i agree.

Pretty much put that theory to test on friday and i got a jew.

Will also try it out on Thursday. Would have liked to go Tuesday instead but gotta work sometimes to support the fishing habit.

Also i love it when those factors combine and include a mid morning low tide especially when the difference between low and high is minimal like late last week. Seems to increase the window of opportunity.

Cheers.

Hi Jewgaffer,

That was a great read, mate you should be working with them BOM fellas.

Just goes to show yah, no matter how long you have fished and how old you are,you can still learn

something, that info would have helped every Jew chaser on this site{barring none}.

cheers Rick.

Hi Quaddy Port Hacking can be nature's best kept secret for jewfish or nature's biggest dudder depending on what's happening at Wanda which is the best known performing area of water between the mouth of Port Hacking and the mouth of Botany Bay. Unlike other coastal rivers where jewfish schools travel up river, the Hacking is cut short by Audley Weir.

So you have to fish the Hacking like you would fish the mouth of any river and think top of the tide and run out tide fishing during night hours.

In saying that I've found that they don't always go back out with the run out tide in the currentless deepwater bays and I've had good results right on the bottom and during the run tide in Gunnamatta Bay and Burraneer Bay. Whereas along the stretch in the main river between the mouth of Burraneer Bay (Shiprock) and Lily Pilli and the early parts of South West Arm near the ranger's cottage fishes best on the top and the early run out and again only during night hours.

As to the bi catch there is 60 foot of water in Burraneer not far from the marina and over 80 feet near the centre rows of the moored boats in Gunnamatta Bay and you would be surprised how well nippers work in those depths at times. A good bi catch from the bottom up and table size snapper near the top might just happen to be there waiting for your nippers in eighty feet of water :D I.E times when there's not much activity in the spots you would normally fish for bream, whiting or flathead.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mr Jewgaffer i am fairly new at this and have sent you a message. hope you get it

Ta

thankyou byron for sharing your knowledge on this subject.

I will have to read this a couple of times to get it to sink in completely but I have the guist of it.

very much appreciated.

hmmmm, looks like i will have to invest in a barometer.

once again Thankyou.

Pete.