Rod To Suit Sustain 1000

jahajo

Just wondering what people think a good rod to match a shimano sustain 1000

would be using it mainly for sp and poppering for bream and flathead

and the occasional salmon or tailor

Hazza

Shimano rack raider 7'2" finesse bream 1 piece or 7'6"2piece perfect match for this reel,

i have the same set up its great with 4lb or 6lb fireline or braid or stren microfuse :thumbup:

Cheers Rizzo.

G'day Hazza,

T-Curves are fantastic rods but it might be worth sending a PM to Hodgey, GregL or Swordfisherman and ask if they're happy to give advice regarding the best length, line class etc... particularly for poppering. Getting the best out of little poppers needs careful blank selection (too long and the rod will be hard to manage, too short and you won't get the distance, too soft and you won't get the right action, etc, etc, etc)

Just in T-Curve Tournaments you'll still find in stores a 1-3kg (6'8" I think), 2-4kg (7'2" I think), 3-5kg (6'8" I think), then there's the new T-Curve flights....

If you end up spending that much on a rod I'd get their advice mate (I'd spend money on the advice of any of these guys cos they know their stuff with this kind of fishing) and get the very best option... I know Hodgey loves his 3-5kg T-Curve.

Cheers, Slinky

My 2008 T Curve is 2-5kg and as Slinky has already alluded to, I reckon they're great. :biggrin2:

I also use a 1-3kg Strudwick Sic Stick Pro 7ft, particularly in open water for distance casting. (a lot of my popper work is done in confined circumstances, thus the advantage of the T Curve).

The Struddie is light-weight and has a stiffer tip, giving a stronger 'bloop' from the popper; particularly handy for flathead and whiting. :thumbup: I started off popper fishing for bream with a 1 piece Rack Raider, which worked very well, but have since upgraded to the T Curve. I also use my T Curve for casting small sp's and hb's.

Good luck on the water mate

Regards

Hodgey

Just wondering what people think a good rod to match a shimano sustain 1000

would be using it mainly for sp and poppering for bream and flathead

and the occasional salmon or tailor

Hazza

Hi Hazza

Red put me onto these. See if you can track down a pfleuger medalist 1-3 kg spin. I have just purchased the 2-4 kg drop shot. The medalists are a graphite blank, Fuji's titanium-framed silicon guides and cork grips. They are an awesome looking rod and have and have a wonderful action. For around $150 they are hard to go past. There are not many left as they are a run-out model and priced accordingly so you might have to ring around.

Steve

:thumbup:

Hi Hazza

Long time no see mate. Was just earlier trying to line up a snapper fish with Derek.

bream popper rods I like long ones in the 7'2"-7'6" range to aid in super long casts on the flats and plus these usually have a nice whippy tip for ultra light hidden weight fishing.

The usual 7fter in a nice light format will also do the job either situation but if your after something a little differnt try a long one.

Bugdet?

The new Nitro tournement rods are bloody nice around the $400 mark. Loomis have some great rods in the IMX and GLX series but $600 plus.... Anything higher than the Nitro I would tend to go custom. I'm sorry I can't comment on many models as I don't like doing it unless I have owned one.....

Personally my fav bream rod is the Millerods bream buster finesse. Does everything!

Greg