Screws Holding Floor Down In Alloy Boat

achjimmy

I am getting tired of the self tapping screws not holding in my floor and was considering drilling the holes out and putting alloy rivnuts (nut that rivets itself in hole) in and using proper 3/16 unf screws to hold the floor down. Has anybody else done this. Only concern i can see is the risk of corrosion between the two disimalar alloys which will be less than the alloy and stainless currently.

it used to piss me off so i gave up on them

like most the floor in my tinny is shaped around the ribs, so the floor wont slide forward or back. the weight is still on the supports and with the esky and tackle it wont lift.

so, do nothing and your laughing :thumbup:

Boats flex and will forever be gradually working on tightly screwed down floors.

The other way rather than screwing through the floor boards is to screw a cleat of thick polly chopping baord into the rib above the floor. As the screws are not under load from people walking on the floor or flex of the hull they won't tear the threads out. Floor won't fall out if it goes over and you only have to remove the cleats on one side to lift up the floor.

If you preferred you could just put Ramset plugs ( cap head ones like you use innconcrete walls into the existing holes and use existing screws but they may just spin when you go to undo them but worth a try.

Hi mate only last week I needed to remove part of the floor as the live bait tank pump siezed and I had the opposite problem, I could not get the screws out!! but a knock here and there and managed to remove them. When using alloy vibration is your worst enemy and perhaps that is why the screws are getting loose plus the fact also that alloy is a softer metal where the flooring sits on the ribbing you should have a rubber lining?? so that the plate does not move or vibrate. Numbnuts is more on the money, but in this case where they are really lose I would use a silican or rubber seal that when cured would have a rubbery texture and that would fix the problem for you and at least when you need to get the screws out you will be able too

Cheers

Edited by Dorado 2