Oil Seeping Out Of My Leg

fish2relax

All,

my boats been storeed for the last 6 months due to being busy with my house and work.

Anyway im going for a fish tomorrow and monday so after I picked the boat up from where it was being stored and got home I noticed that oil has been seeping out of my leg.

Motor has been stored in the down position and it is leaking out of a sump plug with washer on it on the right hand side of my motor.

Got to it with a screw driver and tightened it by 1/4 of a turn. Seems to of stoped.

Is this the top inspection hole? So I could of only lost the top 100ml? or is this the botom of the oil gallary and I couldl of lost a lot over time?

Motor is a late '06 115 Yammie 4st.

Any way of checking oil level?

Im hanging for a fish but dont want to seize a leg in the mean time.

Ben

As above . With bottom plug in, open top bung and see what the level is . If it flows out and is clear not milky ( ie has water in it) you are OK as many get overfilled slightly in service. If it is milky of due for oil change just replace the oil. Oh yeah mention it to your servicing dealer who didn't do it up tight or torque it properly , or use a new washer as if you wern't observant it could have cost you a gearbox and a long row / tow home. Pretty poor effort.

Also not sure with Yammi if they have a Oring seal or a plastic washer on the gearbox plug. If they have the plastic washer it may be prudent to replace both of them as in other brands motors they are a one use only item. Check with a Yammi service department. Also check what torque to do them up to as Yammi is one of the few motors I have seen several stripped threads on gearbox plugs that have had to be helecoiled - pain in the butt.

Do the idiot test as well and look for any marks on teh prop or leg incase it has struck a gutter or someone has hit it up the rear. Spin teh prop listen and feel for any odd noise or roughness and that the prop is spinning cleanly.

Edited by pelican