Fresh Squid-eating It

Josh88

Hi Guys,

I would probably have to say that freshly caught calamari squid is one of my favourite things to eat.

I know there will be an overwhelming response saying that calamaris are better and i completely agree but when we're at cottage pt all we seem to get are the arrows.

So basically i just want to hear people's opinions on eating arrow squid as i've heard from some it can be a bit tough a rubbery.

Cheers

Josh

hi josh

i fish for squid all the time. I mostly catch arrow squid.

I just cooked some the other day, big ones and small ones.

what you have to do when cooking it is shallow fry it and make sure the oil is hot before you put them in.

This is because you dont want it sitting in the oil to cook for too long, then you get a really strong oil taste, it doesnt over power the squid taste but it will get a bit annoying.

I batter them, and shallow fry them, and eat them with a salad. The best meal i reckon. Nothing taste better than fresh squid(arrow or calamari).

I also keep all the guts and skin and even the head, i keep a freezer bag for them, and every time i clean squid i add the remains to the bag. The guts and stuff can be used for burley and the heads can be used for bait. Squid head is apparently excellent bait.

Edited by Bent_Rod

Hi josh,

squiding is something I have to learn to do, but I did manage a couple in the hawkesbury one day ( no idea what type) I sliced them into rings, dipped them in egg rolled them in breadcrumbs and fried them in very hot oil until they browned (not long) and they were simply sensational!!! yyyuuummm!

Yup thats right. The amino acids in the milk im pretty sure help break down the squid, ie softens them

Dan

Do you leave it out or put it in the fridge??

Also guys, we caught ridiculous amounts of squid last time and had problems with keeping it in good condition for use as bait. It would start to really smell and even the pinkies and jackets would prefer packet squid :wacko: We were keeping the heads and tubes in buckets of water but that obviously didn't work.

I'm guessing just put it aside straight away in a zip lock bag and into the freezer??

Also can you kill squid other than chopping its head off??

Cheers

Josh

I dont know :( , i eat alot of Squid and i must say that you all must be fussy or something, have you tried eating the squid you bought from shops? If you guys think your squid that you caught fresh and cooked fresh is tough then i believe there is no pleasing you's or you's are spoilt :1prop:

Just my opinion :1fishing1:

I dont know :( , i eat alot of Squid and i must say that you all must be fussy or something, have you tried eating the squid you bought from shops? If you guys think your squid that you caught fresh and cooked fresh is tough then i believe there is no pleasing you's or you's are spoilt :1prop:

Just my opinion :1fishing1:

Never really thought about it like that, i guess its always going to be better than shop calamari but you still just accept and eat that, so may as well with the arrows i guess.

Just want it to be the best it can :1prop:

They both taste good!! The only reason they are rubbery is because you over-cook them.Especially the arrows as the tubes are much thinner.Next time stuff the tubes with "burley" made of steamed rice ,garlic, chilli,chopped prawns or crab and any finely chopped veges you have and then fry or char-grill them .YUM..

Do you leave it out or put it in the fridge??

Also guys, we caught ridiculous amounts of squid last time and had problems with keeping it in good condition for use as bait. It would start to really smell and even the pinkies and jackets would prefer packet squid :wacko: We were keeping the heads and tubes in buckets of water but that obviously didn't work.

I'm guessing just put it aside straight away in a zip lock bag and into the freezer??

Also can you kill squid other than chopping its head off??

Cheers

Josh

You keep it in the fridge. Apparently u can use either milk or kiwi fruit.

Dan

Hi Guys,

I would probably have to say that freshly caught calamari squid is one of my favourite things to eat.

I know there will be an overwhelming response saying that calamaris are better and i completely agree but when we're at cottage pt all we seem to get are the arrows.

So basically i just want to hear people's opinions on eating arrow squid as i've heard from some it can be a bit tough a rubbery.

Cheers

Josh

Calamari are better eatting after being frozen eatting arrow is the same iff it is eatten on the day it was caught after freezing its starts to taste foul and stinks thats why i would prefer arrows as bait