Berkley Drop Shot

craigtempo

G'day Craig,

I don't have that model but I'm a fan of the drop shot rods. I have a 2-4kg 7'2" and a 8kg 7'6" and I love both of them. I have better rods like tcurves and daiwa sols but they're 2-3 times the price. For the price I don't think you can find any rods that are better ( although I'm sure there are a few just as good). I don't think you'll be disappointed with a Drop Shot mate.

Good luck, Slinky

Hi Craig,

I have had and broken the tip off two 6-10kg drop shots in the last three months. The first using 15lb braid lifting a 8lb salmon. My tackle shop replaced it under warranty. The second broke in exactly the same location (second guide down from the tip) on a 2lb tailor. On both occasions it was the first fish of the day and the rod was parallel to the water. When using the rod the tip seemed not to have an even bend throughout as the older models do. My tackle store gave me a different brand as a replacement and have had no problems. Whilst the old models are great rods, I dont think that I would ever buy another one. I have had much more succes with the struwick sic stiks and will stick with them. Check that it has an 'even' action under load, if that looks OK then you may be alright.

Slinky is right, they are normally a good rod for the price, but I have since found out that some models are made in a different country than before.

Not sure if this helps.

Sandini

Hi Craig,

I have had and broken the tip off two 6-10kg drop shots in the last three months. The first using 15lb braid lifting a 8lb salmon. My tackle shop replaced it under warranty. The second broke in exactly the same location (second guide down from the tip) on a 2lb tailor. On both occasions it was the first fish of the day and the rod was parallel to the water. When using the rod the tip seemed not to have an even bend throughout as the older models do. My tackle store gave me a different brand as a replacement and have had no problems. Whilst the old models are great rods, I dont think that I would ever buy another one. I have had much more succes with the struwick sic stiks and will stick with them. Check that it has an 'even' action under load, if that looks OK then you may be alright.

Slinky is right, they are normally a good rod for the price, but I have since found out that some models are made in a different country than before.

Not sure if this helps.

Sandini

thanks sandini ive put it underload in the shop and it seemed strong i also checked the backbone and it seems to be correct ,BUT i hope it dosnt fail me as i am buying it to target kingies and jewies from my yak using 20 lb braid .not sure which reel yet still looking . i dont buy expensive reels for the yak as the conditions are to harsh for them . so i guess $100 ish .im more interested with areel that can hold 250mtrs of braid and also have a smooth drag . not interested in a reel that has 1000 bearings .i have a cheapy reel in a 4000 size that has 1 bearing in it and its lasted me 12 years ,but know shes a bit to klunky for a kingie .

Edited by craigtempo

thanks sandini ive put it underload in the shop and it seemed strong i also checked the backbone and it seems to be correct ,BUT i hope it dosnt fail me as i am buying it to target kingies and jewies from my yak using 20 lb braid .not sure which reel yet still looking . i dont buy expensive reels for the yak as the conditions are to harsh for them . so i guess $100 ish .im more interested with areel that can hold 250mtrs of braid and also have a smooth drag . not interested in a reel that has 1000 bearings .i have a cheapy reel in a 4000 size that has 1 bearing in it and its lasted me 12 years ,but know shes a bit to klunky for a kingie .

Hi Craig.

It sounds like you have one of the 'good' models. Good luck.

I use a Stradic 3000 with 15lb braid on my equivalent rod. They are in the $200 range. But I have just purchased a ABU Cardinal 802 for my bream rod. It is a great reel. Maybe the 804 for what your'e after. Good luck from the yak, I'm just about to purchase one for myself at the moment.

Sandini