Weekend Report

mark_s

I was very keen to get on the water on the weekend after a few weeks off. Got to the ramp nice and early Sat morning. Launched boat and kicked motor over, it started first time as always.

For some reason I stopped the motor, still don''t know why but the damm thing wouldn''t start again :-mad2 :-mad2 . Tried for an hour to get it going, even using using the pull cord. I was able to get it going using the pull cord but once stopped it wouldn''t start with the key. Sounds like there is a problem with the ignition as there is a clicking when the key is turned but its not kicking over at all.

I didn''t fancy pull cord starting the motor all day, particularly as I was due to pick up the wife for a run in the arvo :crankymissus: :crankymissus: . So boat goes back on trailer (after plenty of swearing :-mad2 :bigfart: ) and I retreat home.

On Sat night I had to make a decision between watching the Wallabies or getting an early night for some shore based fishing Sun morning. Chose the former but there is always next week.

Edited by mark_s

Could be, but i only brought a new battery in January and I checked the water levels in the battery about a month ago. If the battery is flat then maybe its not charging up correctly when the motor is running.

I didn''t bother checking the battery on Saturday. Even if it is a flat battery that doesn''t answer the question of why the battery is flat. I am sure that its not from low water and it was a brand new battery six months ago. Maybe that would mean the alternator isn''t doing its job correctly.

I don''t leave any electrics on in between uses.

Would be funny if it is battery problems though because I sticky beaker gave me a good talking to about how Mercury were a sh$t brand of motor and I should buy a johnson instead. That was a conversation I didn''t feel like having at the time :nono::nono::nono:

GI JOE, thanks for the offer but I will stick to Andrew Short Marine. They charge like a wounded bull but atleast I know that they know what they are doing with Merc''s.

A mate at work had a horror story about trying to get a motor fixed by a mechanic who didn''t know the brand very well.

Edited by mark_s

Guest Jocool

Im not going to guess what is wrong with your electrics :nono: But its good to see that it happened at the ramp and not 3 K out! :thumbsup:

As far as mechanics go...Everyone has their opinions on who is good and who is bad! I have heard horror stories from AS Marine as well as others! :grogon:

The power tilt is still working fine as are the other electrics (radio etc.) Does this mean that the battery cable is probably not the cause?

BTW - Jocool the reason that I go to A-S is that they are an authorised Merc dealer. My work mate took his near new motor (a yammie) to someone (a large boat yeard in Sydney) who didn''t know the latest model yammies very well and he ended up paying many dollars (well over $1,500 :thumbdown::thumbdown: ) and never got the prob fixed. He ended up ringing up the Yammie people to complain and they told him what the problem was over the phone, was a $50 part that any Yammie dealer could have spotted with his eyes shut.

Edited by mark_s

1998 model engine so not under warranty.

Booked in for next Monday so I''ll let you know what the prob was. I am pretty illiterate when it comes to mechanical things so wouldn''t be at all surprised if its something simple.

check either the red safety lanyard switch on your control box. Or the starter motor fuse on the starter motor curcuit. This last one is usually a horse shoe shaped plug contained in a water tight case on the wires leading into your starter motor( the cylinder with the small cog on top)

Edited by allen glover

Guest Jocool

Allen is right in what he suggested. I would also be suspicious of a starter relay. Seen that problem many a time on an old Chrysler I used to have!